Once Loved. Once forgotten

Isabella’s POV

Real men don't rape… I guess my father wasn't a real man then. Jake Serrao...

I opened my door a crack and heard my parents yelling.

 "Don't touch her! She's only 6 Jake, don't you know what you are doing to her inside?!" 

*Slap* 

He had hit her.

He always does. I look a lot like my mom; we both have these piercing green eyes. The only difference is I have dark brown hair where her hair is blonde. I have my daddy's hair. He wanted my hair long, so it’s down to my waist. He always gets what he wants. Mommy says that one day it will stop, I closed my eyes…

*Crash. Slap. Scream. *

Tears fell down my face as I closed my door.

He would be coming for me soon.

I heard Mommy scream out in pain and I fell to the floor, picking up my teddy I held it      close to me and I heard my mommy whispering outside my door, "Please Jake, not today.       She's too young for this." 

*Slap. Crash. * 

There was silence as my door opened, I saw my mommy on the floor bleeding…                    “Mommy!” I yelled running to her, but Daddy picked me up and slammed the door shut. “But she's hurt!" I cried as Daddy put me on my bed.

 He never used to be like this, my daddy got like this when he lost his job.

 Usually my daddy was a funny person and he loved mommy and me very much.

 But then we lost Lilly, my older sister, and Daddy started drinking. 

And then he got like this. Lilly was always his favorite, she never did anything wrong. Lilly was special. She made everyone happy and she was good at everything. 

 "Izzie" Daddy said looking at me. 

That’s his nickname for me. Izzie. My real name is Isabella. 

 “Yes, Daddy?” I looked at him, he smelt like beer. I crinkled my nose

 “Do you love me sweetie?” he asked me.

 He always asked me this.

 “Yes Daddy” I whispered, scared.

 “LIAR!” he shouted and he hit me across the face.

 I cried. My lip was bleeding and he pushed me down on my bed again. 

“I'll teach u for lying to me” he spat, and he did what he did to me most days now. 

Mommy said I was getting raped and I should tell someone. She was too scared to tell and so was I. I was crying and I was sore all over. I hid under my blanket with my teddy, Oswald. I called him Ozzie though. I was naked and bruised but I stayed hidden under my blankie never wanting to get up again. 

Lilly used to cut herself. Mommy said it was because she was depressed. See Lilly had cancer. And she killed herself in front of me.

Sometimes when I was sleeping she came to me in my dreams and told me things. Mommy says I'm just imagining it, maybe I am. But Lilly kept telling me to run away before I ended up like her. 

Mommy, had to work today, she worked every day. It made me sad because when she was gone Daddy always had his friends over and they all got drunk and I got really scared sometimes.

I heard Mommy knock on my door then she came in and she lifted me up in her arms and held me tight. She put my dress back on for me.

"I love you sweetheart, never ever forget that, ok?" She said softly.

I looked at her with wide, scared eyes remembering what Lilly told me before she killed herself. 

I held onto my mommy tight 

"Please don't leave me Mommy,” I cried into her shirt. Mommy always smells nice. She started singing to me, rocking me back and forth. I love it when Mommy sings to me. I fell asleep in her arms.

I woke up and Mommy was leaving for work. She came into my room.

"Hey baby girl" she smiled at me. "Mommy has to go to work, ok?" 

I looked up at her, "Can I come Momma?" I asked her hopefully. “Please.”

Her face fell. 

"I wish baby girl, I really wish you could." She said.

My face fell, "Ok Mommy. When will you be back?" I asked her 

"I’ll be back in four or five hours. I'll come see you when get back"

 I smiled at her as she kissed my forehead. I love it when she does that. It makes me feel special, like she really loves me. She walked out and I went to my toy box. I took out my stuffed animals and began to play.

There was a knock on the door and shivers went down my spine. 

"Izzie?" 

It was my daddy’s voice. I froze.

"Can I come in?" He asked. And he came in anyway.

I held my breath and turned to look at him. He was drunk. I bit my lip and lifted my head then let it slowly drop, holding my knees to my chest.

He walked in and looked at me as he sat on my bed 

"My friends just got here, won’t you come out and say hello?" 

I frowned. "Bu…" 

He got up stopping me in the middle of the word and raised his hand.  

I closed my eyes as his hand hit my right cheek. Tears began to fall. 

"Fine stay in your room. Just know you have hurt Daddy. Come out and join us when you’re done thinking about how much you hurt me" He said.

 I nodded as he slammed the door. I was always hurting Daddy. He said that’s why he has to hurt me, because it’s my fault. If I didn't hurt him he wouldn't have to punish me. Even at 6 years old I knew I was a disappointment. 

I started crying so hard I couldn't breathe. 

"I'm sorry Daddy,” I whispered. Then I cried myself to sleep.

"Isabella" I heard someone say. 

"Run while you can!" 

I woke up and sat straight up. It was beginning to get dark. I climbed into bed with Ozzie "I love you Ozzie" I whispered hugging my teddy close as tears began to drip from my eyes. 

The door opened and my mommy walked in. 

"Hey baby girl" she smiled at me. She climbed on my bed lying behind me. She wrapped her arms around me and held me tight to her.

"Hi Mommy" I said as I turned to face her, cuddling up into her embrace. 

"How was work?" I asked her. She kissed my forehead. 

"It was alright, it was tiring." she sighed a little and closed her eyes 

"Bedtime Princess" she whispered and began singing again.

 I sighed happily and fell asleep feeling safe. I always felt safe when Mommy held me.