Chapter 7: Elevator

I wheeled myself back into my room silently, making sure not to wake my snoring dad from his deep slumber. I sighed looking into the mirror, appearance wise there wasn't much I could do. I wasn't a big makeup person so after putting on a few strokes of mascara and running my brush through my hair I looked down feeling defeated. How attractive the boys will find me in my lovely hospital attire. I thought as I rolled my eyes. I drown myself in a maroon sweater hoping to hide the weight I've lost. I don't dare change my pants, instead I grab my tan flannel blanket, hoping I don't look extremely tacky.

I start to wheel my way out of my cage I call a room, when my dad groans an incoherent sentence. I don't try to make sense of what he's saying but I also don't dare move a muscle. If that man wakes up, I'll be over with. Slowly I start to wheel my way out again. I have my door half open when I hear him again.

"Ella." I hear him grumble

Shit shit shit shit shit. I slowly turn around ready to face the full wrath of my angry father. I lowly laugh to myself as I see him still passed out, he sleep talks all the time but I'm so scared I'll get caught I convinced myself he was awake. I let out a breathe I didn't know I was holding in and make my way out the door.
Emily looks up from her phone, she very quietly start jumping up and down, squealing like some fan girl. I roll my eyes at her in an attempt to hide the fact that on the inside I am doing the exact same thing.

"Don't you need to take that off?" Ella questions. Her eyes directing me to my hospital ID band on my wrist.

"Crap, yeah thanks." I start to tug at the plastic but it won't budge. After trying multiple times I left out a defeated sigh, motioning for Emily to help. She reaches out her hands, pulling it off in one swift motion. Not questioning it I start our journey down the eerily quite hospital hall.

Emily fidgets with her hands looking just as nervous as I feel. "Keep your head up, if you look like you know exactly where you're supposed to be going no one will question you. We got this!" I smirk towards her, she just nods and does exactly as I say.

As we round another corner, headed for the elevator, I wheel right into something. Looking up I realize it's not a something but a someone.  "I am so sorry!" I stutter out looking down from embarrassment. I can feel my face turning a unforgivable shade of red as I start to fumble with the loose strands on my blanket. I hear the voice of whomever I have clumsily ran into. "Don't worry about it! These things are tough to get a hang of." He chuckles. I look up to see an average looking guy, probably around the same age as me. He has dirty blonde hair that falls around his oval face just above his ears, covering his forehead. His maroon colored T-shirt hangs loosely off his shoulders meeting a pair of dark wash jeans. "I'm Myles, Myles Grey. It's very nice to meet you!" He politely says interrupting my thoughts. "I'm Ella, and this is Emily." He starts to speak again when we hear someone shout "You kids arent supposed to be out here." The deep authoritative voice booms down the hallway. I look up to Emily "Quick!! Go go go!!" I quickly spit out as the man is already making his way towards us.  The elevator dings, letting off a crowd of strangers. Pushing through them we get on and our new friend Myles is just standing where we left him looking at us in utter confusion. "Well!?" I question him "Are you coming or not?"