Chapter 37.

*****

"Who was that guy you were with last night?" Kristy asked as we cleaned the diner's tables. We had just closed and mostly every staff member had left save for the pair of us, Erik and Bree who worked in the kitchen and Max.

"A... friend." I shrugged, uncertain of the answer myself. I doubted I would be seeing him again...

"I know..." She frowned.

"What's wrong?" I asked concerned. Really, I couldn't remember much of last night's party. I knew I had been with Kevin pretty much the entire time though. Jack thought he was hot, but disliked him anyway saying he had a bad 'aura' around him.

I remember waking up at Kristy's, I had dozens of calls from Lyle and Natalie. I learnt the only reason they had stopped calling was because they called Kristy at four in the morning and she told them that I was fine and sleeping at her house.

Lyle was pissed I had not told him I would be sleeping at Kristy's but I had not seen him yet so I was hoping he had cooled down by the time he came to pick me up. Mostly because he had never sounded as angry at me as he had when I called him in the morning and I had no idea what his anger was like. The emotion just scared me. I also felt guilty... I was so insensitive for what I had done... But he didn't sound worried, just really angry.

"It's just that... You're never that... How long have you known him?" She asked as she sat down.

"Yes, girls take your time, it's not like I have a life outside of this diner." Max called at us sarcastically.

"Oh, shush." He rolled his eyes when Kristy said that and I smiled at their interaction.

"Not long." I answered her question honestly.

"And you're so carefree around him!" She exclaimed. I stared at her confused. I didn't get it... "We've been friends for a while and you're never that way around me - or anyone else we hang out with. I guess I'm just... jealous... you're my best friend and you don't even act like that with me,"

I felt myself smile as I sat down. "You don't have to be jealous." I'm not entirely sure why she would be, "Kristy, you're my best friend. I'm always me when I'm with you. Last night was..." From what I found on the internet, I think it was ecstasy.

"Fun." She said. I looked at her, "Last night was fun, Hannah. You never have fun like that with us, you're always worried about something." She said.

I frowned. She was right, of course. I was always worried, always scared. But with the pills...

"Well, I don't have to worry anymore." I faked a wide smile, "I'm just... I had some problems with my mom." I shrugged, that had been the closest thing to the truth I had ever told her about my family, "But it's all good now." I smiled as I patted her shoulder.

She smiled. "Okay, good. Wanna get pizza later?" She asked.