We pull into college and as soon as we get down, hear a cheerful voice booming through the loud speakers.

"Helloa peeps! What a bright, sunny day! Just perfect for the highly anticipated basketball match which will be commencing shortly."

There is a pause and I hear a roar of excited voices from the speaker.

"Yes, you heard right. Manik Malhotra, the charming new guy has been challenged to a match by our very own, Harshad Saxena, who is yet to lose a match since he came to St. Stephen six months ago."

There is more cheering from the crowd, which is already in the stands, I suppose.

"Let's see who will be hiding their pussy after the match. Gear upp guys! The action is about to begin. And Manik Malhotra, wherever you are, please honour us with your divine presence!"

I look up at him. He is staring at me with an uncertain expression. Probably wondering how "not to leave me alone for a single minute" and be able to play the match, I guess.

"There you are!" Cabir comes running to us, followed by Navya.

"Chal, jaldi chal. " Cabir grabs Manik by the arm and starts pulling him towards the changing room. Just as they are about to move, Harshad and his gang appear.

"Woo hoo! Look who's here. Manik Malhotra. So, ready to lose to me?" He leers.

"You wish!" Manik snaps.

Harshad is about to shit again, but Alia interrupts him.

"Bhai!"

She is tottering towards us with her hanger-on, Mukti, looking as annoying as ever.

"Hi, Manik, Cabir." She smiles at them, a bit more sweetly at Manik. Mukti is just standing in the background.

"Hey, Alia. Glad you could make it to see your bhai getting shat over!" Cabir mocks. Manik just nods at her with a smile.

"Cabir, bhai, I don't think it's a good idea to have this match today. Manik doesn't even know anyone on the team. He hasn't practiced with them. It's not fair." She says with a concerned expression. I want to gag.

"Alia, I really appreciate your being concerned, but I want to play." Manik says politely to her.

"So, it's settled then, Alia. We are playing, and I am winning." Harshad says, putting an arm around his sister's shoulder.

With one final glance at Manik, Harshad and his croonies turn around and walk away, followed by Alia.

"See you on the ground, joker." Mukti grins at Cabir.

"You will, lady bheem." Cabir laughs.

Mukti hits him playfully, shakes hands with Manik wishing him luck, totally ignores Navya and gives me a dirty look before walking off.

"So, since when are you friends with Miss. High Heels and Mr. Tomboy?" I spit at Cabir.

"Since ages." He replies.

"I hate them."

"You hate nearly everyone, Nandu." He says in a matter-of-fact tone.

Well, yeah. That's true.

"Chod na, Nandu. Jaane de." Navya grips my hand, trying to calm me down.

"Manik Malhotra, kahan hain aap? Aapko dekhne ke liye humari aankhein taras rahi hain." The commentator's voice booms again.

"Come on, Manik. Shahid ki aankhon ko aur nahi tarsate hain. See ya girls!" Cabir pulls Manik and they disappear into the changing room.