Chapter 14

I hear a tiny bit of this explanation before Christina takes me and Delly off to First Aid.

“See, they had to escape because-“ I hear Tobias tell Uriah before I am out of earshot.

In First I sit while a woman with a nose piercing and several intricate tattoos pokes at my burning ankle. I hear Delly groan next to me and look over to see another nurse rubbing antiseptic on her bloody knee. They bandage it and Delly comes and sits by me. She takes my hand and I hold on tight as they twist and pull my foot. The pain is excruciating and I bite back a yell of pain when they straighten my foot out to bandage it.

I limp away in more pain than when I entered. When I tell Delly this she laughs.

“It’ll do it good.” She laughs

“I know. It doesn’t stop it hurting!”

We walk into the training room where everyone is sat chatting. Christina, who left when we were in safe hands, is listening to Katniss. Gale and Tobias are discussing the merits of different ways of killing someone. Meanwhile, Uriah seems to have coaxed Peeta into talking to him. Uriah listens happily as Peeta tells him about his paintings. We come in and everyone looks up and smiles at us.

“Anyone hungry?” I ask and I am answered by a roomful of nods and calls of agreement.

As I finish off a slice of famous Dauntless cake Christina suddenly looks excitedly at me.

“OOH! I nearly forgot! While you were gone this came for you!” She smiles and gives me a slightly bent envelope. “Sorry, it’s been in my pocket!”

I open it and pull the letter out. My stomach clenches as I read the first line.

“To my Dear sister Beatrice,”