Chapter 6

Beetee stays silent and Katniss and Peeta are too busy comforting each other to respond to the question.  

“It’s a terrible competition.” A voice at the door says softly. Tobias and I turn around to see Delly on the threshold, wringing her hands. She comes in makes the tea for Katniss, who it seems, is beyond stopping sobbing into Peeta. She sets steaming mugs on the table and leads Beetee over, motioning for Peeta to do the same Katniss. They sit and the table is a distressing scene of utter terror. Delly, though preserving calm exterior looks like she might cry.

Beetee raises his mug to his lips but his teeth chatter against the rim and his hands shake violently. Peeta is white as a sheet and has his head in his hands. I don’t know if he’s crying but his shoulders and heaving. Katniss gets up and leaves, going into a bedroom. I wonder if I should go after her but I need to know what these “Hunger games” actually are and why they have this effect on a once composed group of people.

“The Games,” Delly begins, as if reading my mind. “Are a competition in which 12 boys and 12 girls aged between 12 and 18 must fight to the death in an arena until only one is left, the Victor.”

Peeta makes a noise like a groan of pain and I hear his muffled sob.

“Everyone you’ve met here except Gale and I are Victors.” Delly finishes.

I no longer see this group of people as, well, people. I see them as brave warriors. Survivors who must wish they had died in those Games. Because just look at the pain they’re in now.