Chapter 3

Everybody's smiling at us now, even Johanna and little Jonah. Well, almost everybody.

"Peeta," Katniss says quietly, going over to him "Smile for Tris and Tobias."

Peeta looks up at us with vacant blue eyes and smiles

"Hello." He says then looks anxiously at Katniss "They will hurt us. Real or not real?"

"Not real." She assures him, taking his hand "They're ok. You're ok."

He nods and looks back to his book, picks up his paintbrush. He has a box of watercolours by his side. Delly stands up and comes over to us

"You must be hungry." She says and we nod silently. "I'll start making some soup."

Peeta stops painting, pushes the book off of his lap and stands up.

"I'll go and get some rolls, bread and stuff." He says vaguely and leaves

"Sit down." Annie says and Tobias and I sit together on the sofa, where Peeta's book balances on the cushions. I tug it onto my knees and see a beautiful painting. It's a handsome man with the same golden hair as Jonah and a flirty expression.

"Finnick." A voice says and I jump. I didn't even notice Annie come and stand behind me, carrying Jonah in her arms

She comes and sits beside me so I'm squashed comfortably between Tobias and Annie. She leans over to look at the painting and sighs.

"That's your daddy, Jonah." Annie whispers to Jonah. "He's looking down on you from where he's sat with the angels."

I know what she means and I feel my tears prickle in my eyes, looking at Annie's little boy who will never know his own father.

Delly comes back into the room, her sunny mood snapping us all out of our mourning. She casts a glance at Finnick's portrait.

"Peeta's done a good job on that one. It looks just like him." She smiles admiringly. Annie nods. "The soups nearly done. Where did Peeta go?" Delly asks and Gale stands up and kisses her

"He's getting some stuff for dinner." Gale says and Delly smiles.

I hear the door open and Peeta comes in as if on cue. He smiles shyly as he sees Annie looking at Finnick's picture. "Do you like it?" He asks and Annie nods.

"It's amazing." I tell him and Tobias agrees.

"Thank you." He smiles and it feels like, for the first time since we arrived, he finally sees us. I take my jacket off, feeling cooler in my sleeveless black top.

"I like the drawings on your arm." Peeta says and I push my top's shoulder up to reveal my abnegation tattoo better

"Oh, my tattoo? Thanks." I smile "I have another here." I pull the neckline of my top down a little so he can see the ravens on my collarbone.

"Mockingjays?" He asks and, assuming mockingjays are some local breed of bird, I shake my head.

"Ravens. One for Caleb, my brother, and one each for my mum and dad." I tell him

Delly comes back and takes a paper bag from Peeta

"Thanks." She says peering inside "Oh, and dinner's ready.

We all eat sat around a large wooden table. A hot bowl of soup, cheesy rolls and cookies for pudding, iced with a beautiful flower. After dinner Katniss shows me to a spare bedroom and Gale takes Tobias off to another room down the corridor. Only a few bedrooms separate us.

"Here." Katniss says, throwing some pyjamas at me. I catch them and hug them to my chest. "Bathroom's down the hall. Night Tris." She says and leaves. I go and wash my face, change in the bathroom and climb into bed, turning off the beside light.