18. I Bite (Picture Of Bella and Edward Dancing)

Chapter 18

•I Bite•

"Edward..." began Bella. "How... Why... How... is it that you knew I was nervous to... dance?"

"Well..." He sighed, internally making a decision. She already knew his secret, he'd just explain it more. He would just shock her first. "Your loving werewolf that imprinted on you was practically screaming that a blood-sucker was going to dance with his clumsy, accident-prone girlfriend, then station pups around me so I wouldn't be able to do anything too bad."

Bella stopped moving, staring at him in shock. Her mouth flopped open with a popping noise.

"Care for me to explain?" he asked politely.

Bella was at a silence. She nodded.

"Well you know what I am? A blood-sucker. A vampire in nicer terms." He smiled. "Of course I'm not about to drink everyone's blood that's here. I wouldn't be in public if that were the case. My eyes would be red, not gold, if I drank humans, my family and I drink animal blood. But people are always... tempting. They are what we are meant to eat. Humans are our natural food source. We will always want them. They make us stronger than animals. But we do not wish to harm people that have done nothing wrong... Unless we feel the urge..." He flashed his brialliantly white teeth teasingly. "But that is usally highly unneccesary."

"Oh," stumbled out of Bella's mouth.

"There is something called a singer. It's actually a someone. A singer is when a human's blood smells especially good to one vampire. Like it's singing to you. I would call you my singer." He smiled, a bit of an embarrased expression showing on his face. "But you also smell pretty good to other mystical beings. Other vampires, all werewolves... But you smell even better to me." He grinned.

"Uhh... Th-thanks?" she stuttered unsurely.

Edward chuckled.

"How-how'd you know all that stuff?" asked Bella, remembering what Edward had said a minute ago.

"Oh... Yes, I can... read minds," he grinned wickedly.

"Really?" asked Bella loudly, very intrigued. "What am I thinking right now?" she asked excitedly.

"Shh, shh, shh. I don't need anyone who doesn't know about vampires to know that I read minds. I may end up in an asylum... Not that I wouldn't be able to break out of it... Besides, it doesn't work that way," he said so fast that Bella barely understood.

"Why doesn't it work like that?" she whined.

"Well I can read your boyfriend's mind. Or any of your friends'." Edward fluttered a hand towards them. "But not yours."

Bella's jaw flopped open and her face fell. Then she realized that Edward not being able to read her generally embarrasing thoughts was a good thing. She perked up a bit. But Bella is quite a curious person.

"Why can't you read my mind?" she asked, surprised.

"Cuz it's stupid..." he murmurmed, frustrated with her head, thinking she wouldn't hear. "Well uhh I personally think it runs on a different frequency," he stated.

"Are you sure about that though?" wondered Bella aloud.

"No," said Edward.

"Oh... What's Jacob thinking?" asked Bella, excited to test out Edward's gift.

"He wants to know why the girl who had just walked by didn't want any punch. He's mad at her," said Edward, concentrating.

"Hey, Jake!" called Bella.