chapter 12

Stuck in the stupid, stinking car again. Suck with my shoulders wedged between Cockerel and Basta. My two favourite people. Yay. Every inch of my body was burning with an ice cold mix of hatred, anger and fear which I could barely sense the world through. Flatnose's shit driving and Basta's almost continual swearing barely pierced the swirling cloud that enveloped me. Why didn't I stay hidden all those years ago. Why do I always think I can be the hero. Jump out and save everyone! Just like the heroes in your books. Brave little girl standing up to the big scary men. Can't lose. No. Good always triumphs over evil. Ha, how disillusioned I was. Living in a fantasy world, refusing to accept reality. And look where it got you. Stuck in the back of a stupid car, wedged in with stupid fire-raisers and murderers on the way to threaten a little girl. How ironic. How fucking ironic.
'C'mon. Were moving!' Basta waved a hand in front of my face. 'Wakey wakey!'

I 'hmphd' and slid out of the car, wobbling on dead legs I begrudgingly followed the three black-clad men to a wall outside of the large school building. The mass produced bricks were made to look like old stone, valiantly trying and failing to blend in with the surrounding ancient façades. Basta stood straight backed, glaring at the building. Cockerel and Flatnose slumped against the low perimeter wall, staring at there boots and kicking stones. 

After what felt like hours of waiting in an awkward silence, we heard the faint sound of a bell from inside the building. We'd all seen a picture of the girl, and at one all eyes were on the laughing children pushing there way through the doors, searching. Cockerel was the first to spot her, nudging us and pointing towards the small figure bobbing through the crowd unsuspecting towards her father, and unknowingly, us. Basta motioned us forward, heading towards the man still in his police uniform waiting a little way from the gate till we were stood maybe twenty meters from him. He spotted us at once and fear filled his friendly features like a flood obliterating a field. He moved forwards and grabbed his daughters hand, fear etched in his every movement at he stumbled away.
Basta grinned. For him, this was just another job well done. It disgusted me. Yet in some way I admired his black heart. In some ways I wished mine was the same.