Chapter 3

I walked into the town, my heart in my mouth and my body heavy, not from the weight of the petrol in my backpack, but heavy with the dread of what I was to do. Heavy with the weight of the lives that I would take tonight.

The sun was sinking below the crests of the hills, filling the world with shadows. I quickened my pace, glancing at the small, raged piece of paper on which the address was scrawled in a childlike script. Mortola's script. That made the dread only stronger. Mortola was in on this, if anything went wrong it wouldn't just be those poor people in the house who lost there lives.

I looked up at the small cottage. It's stone walls well maintained and its thatch fresh. With shaking hands I threw the kindling down around the building and splashed the petrol over the walls and garden. Throwing plumes of the stinking liquid high into the air, covering the walls and windows untill it wass pooling at my feet. I splashed back to the road and struck a match, but it went out as it hit the petrol. My heart started beating even faster. What if someone came? I was unarmed. Defenceless. I struck another match. The adrenaline steadied my hand. I threw it into a petrol soaked bush, the leaves flared orange. I stood for a second, captivated. Then, remembering my instructions turned and fled into the scarlet night.