The Makeup Date (Day 7)

Saturday, July 1

The first thing I register in the morning is that the sun is unnaturally bright. I throw my arm over my eyes to block out the light, but freeze halfway. Something's wrong- the earth seems to be moving beneath me.

Earthquake?

I open my eyes curiously and blink as a grinning face comes into focus.

“Morning, Alli,” Luke smiles. “I was wondering how long it'd take for you to wake up. You sleep like a log.”

I blush, embarrassed. “Where are we?” I push my hands against his chest and move into a sitting position. He shifts his weight so that he's still carrying me and I inconspicuously check out his body. I can feel his muscles through his shirt, rock hard and solid. It's then that I realize I'm still in my pajamas.

“Lucas!” I shriek, flailing my legs.

“What, Allison?” he asks in amusement, purposely enunciating my full name.

“I'm wearing my pajamas!” My voice is shrill with a tinge of hysteria. I clear my throat.

“I know,” Luke replies.

“So?” I demand, struggling to get out of his arms. He carries me tighter and my pulse quickens.

“So what?” He balances me on one knee and opens his car door. “Here you go, m'lady,” he says before gently setting me in the passenger seat.

“Why am I out here in my pajamas?”

Luke grins. “You still owe me a date, remember? I'm just trying to make up for yesterday.” He slams the door shut and hurries to the driver's seat. “Besides, I ought to take my girlfriend on at least one date before she leaves, right?”

My chest tightens. Girlfriend. There, he said it. So it wasn't just all a dream. The ignition starts and Luke whoops with glee. “Here we go!”

“To where?” I ask suspiciously.

Luke smiles cryptically. “You'll see.”

*

The engine sputters as Luke shuts the car down. “You all right?” he asks me quizzically.

“You drive like a maniac!” I glare.

“Thanks,” he laughs. “I think it's a California thing.”

He jogs over to my door and opens it for me, a gentlemanly gesture. “Thanks,” I mumble before stepping out of the car.

Even at 10 A.M., the beaches are filled with people. Over by the lifeguard station, two girls chat in their bathing suits, obviously hoping to catch a glimpse of the lifeguard. A family with two little boys plays on the beach, the father chasing his boys while the mother laughs. To the left of us, a group of bikini-clad girls play beach volleyball.

“Uh, Luke?” I ask.

He's glancing at the shoreline with a satisfied expression on his face. “Mmhm?” he responds.

“I don't have a bathing suit,” I say.

“You could skinny dip,” he suggests hopefully.

I scoff. “Not a chance.”

He laughs and shrugs. “Oh well, it was worth a try.” He runs over to the trunk of his blue car and pulls out a basket. “No worries,” he reassures me. “As much as I'd love to see you in a bathing suit, you don't need one today. I was just thinking we could enjoy the view.”