Unforgiven

"All the apprentices save for Sunpaw will be training with Rubyshine, Hazelwhisker and Scorchclaw." Knottedstar calls from the Highfall. True to tradition, she must yowl over the rush of the nearby waterfall. Though it isn't loud enough to drown out our own voices, it's considered a metaphorical way of being stronger than nature. Once, I wished to yell over it, but now that I'm older, I can't think of anything more terrible than being up in the spotlight with cats who hate me on all sides. The entire clan is very hostile and strange to me now. "Amberstreak has been temporarily training two apprentices due to some... unfortunate circumstances. Hopefully, if Sunpaw performs well, she'll take her place as a warrior of DragonClan tonight."

The clan purrs appreciatively, several warriors bending down to offer encouragement to the bashful apprentice. She briskly makes her way through the curious crowd to Amberstreak, who nods to her, and the two leave. The rest of the clan departs and the cluster of apprentices turns to me, their eyes wide. Clearly, they didn't expect the announcement either. I flinch at their harsh gazes, then realize they aren't glaring at me. They all look pleased to see me. Hastily, I pad over.

"Hey, Rushpaw!" purrs Sparrowpaw, his tawny fur bright in the early morning sunlight.
"H-hello!" I stutter, shocked to see them all.

"It's so nice to see my sister again! Remember me? I'm your brother." Sparrowpaw teases, nuzzling me.
"I'm the one who cut your ear." adds Thistlepaw.
"I'm the one who gave you that mark on your head. Remember when we were entering the DarkClan bush and I pushed a branch away and then it hit you in the face?"
"Like I could forget." says Thistlepaw bitterly.

Crowpaw purrs. "We were such silly kits, weren't we?"

I look around to see all the apprentices far merrier than they were the other day. Perhaps it's just that they haven't worked out yet. Perhaps they're just in good moods.

Unfortunately, not all of them share the warm and welcoming joy. Sharppaw gives me a disdainful look, clearly uninterested by my presence, and Novapaw looks away. My heart beats rapidly, pining for his approval, but I hold myself down.

"We should go. Our "mentors" won't be happy if we spend all day dithering around, even if it is nice to catch up with Rushpaw after..."

"Three moons." I tell her.

"Three moons? Feels like a lifetime!" Sparrowpaw says, shocked.

"Don't I know it!" Sharppaw says.

"For StarClan's sake, let's go already!" Goldenpaw begins nudging us along like an old queen. She reminds me faintly of Scarletsky.

So many cats I rarely see anymore... have I really been so busy with training?

Rubyshine, Hazelwhisker, and Scorchclaw are in no hurry when we get to them. They sit in their own cluster, talking idly in hushed voices. I make out a few names, but nothing else of interest.

Slamming both of her companions, Rubyshine turns to us with unprecedented and probably fake enthusiasm. "Hey, kits!" Rubyshine says cheerfully.

"Rubyshine? You're not a mentor." Goldenpaw notes.

"Knottedstar said all three of us could train you. Can't break up the group!" Rubyshine purrs. She sounds like a giddy apprentice herself. Hopefully Knottedstar had come great reason for making Hazelwhisker (who's not much better) a mentor so young, though she undoubtedly had to. Who am I to question her authority?

Together, we begin walking out of camp at a leisurely pace. Luckily for us, most of the other warriors are out and don't see the disgracefully unproductive group of warriors striding their way into the forest in no hurry at all.