➵3

Chris

          When I returned home that night, Jade was all I could think about. Iris had been pestering me about where I'd been, I lied and told her I went for a walk to clear my head.

Iris and I met at a therapy group session. We had them once a week. Once I realized I had a serious issue, I decided to get some help. I still have intermittent explosive disorder and bipolar, but now it's getting easier to cope with considering I've been going to therapy for three years now.

"So how did you guys meet?" Iris questioned suddenly, snapping me out of my thoughts.

"She was my neighbor."

"You guys weren't just friends, were you?"

I sighed. "Does it really matter Iris?"

"No, bu-"

"Then stop it."

"Okay, whatever."

There was no doubt in my mind that I was in love with Iris. I've been with her for two and a half years. She was there for me during my darkest times, brightest times, and she helped me grow. So for me to just back out of this engagement would be difficult, and a fuckboy move.

          I adjusted my button-up shirt and sprayed a little more cologne on myself. Iris' father and brother should be here any minute, and this would be my fifth time meeting the both of them.

Once I heard the front door open and Iris cooing, I figured they were here. I made my way downstairs promptly and noticed her father Joseph, and brother Jacob standing in the dining room awkwardly.

Joe smiled when I entered. "My boy, how you been?" He pulled me in for a quick hug.

"I been okay, what about you?"

"I been alright."

I nodded and went to dap Jacob up. We then all took our seats at the dinner table.

I liked Joseph, he was a cool dude. He wasn't how I expected him to be, like how other fathers are when it comes to their daughter.

"So what's new?" Jacob questioned. Iris was serving the food, so the only sound was the ceiling fan spinning in the living room and the microwaving of the gravy.

"Work, you know same old." I replied.
"So when am I having a grandchild?" Joe asked suddenly causing Iris to damn near drop the plate of food she had in her hand. She took her spot next to me and began to eat, not saying anything.

I didn't know what to say either, so I came up with something quick. "Probably in a few years." I was only twenty, and I still had a lot more to accomplish in life.

"When's the wedding?"

"Yeah, when is the wedding?" Iris asked, looking at me.

I began to grow nervous, because I didn't have an answer for that. Instead, I said : "I don't know, we haven't decided on a date yet."

"No, you haven't decided on a date yet. I told you as soon as possible." Iris snapped.

"Well honey you guys have only been engaged for less then a year, if you wanna get married that bad go to the courthouse." Joe chimed in.

"No daddy I want a wedding!"

"Then don't rush the man."

"Thank you sir." I said.

She rolled her eyes. "Whatever."

"You know I'm really happy for you guys. I never thought this day would come." Jacob added.

Now I started to feel like complete shit. I was never good at making hard decisions, but you know God wouldn't put me in this situation if he knew I couldn't handle it.

I was praying for the best, and nothing but the best.

*

BTW , Jacob & Iris have different mothers.