Chapter 11

Beth was wrapped in a blanket, curled up against Daryl in the barn. It was storming and a herd was beating restlessly against the doors, the walls, everything. Daryl held his friend close as the night drug on endlessly. She wasn't taking Noah's death lightly.

"We CAN'T just leave him!" Beth had shouted when the group woke her to get moving. They were shocked that she was even aware of what had happened to Noah. Beth was aware and upset.

They had been under a lot of stress the past few days, Noah just ended up as the straw that broke the horse's back. They hadn't had much food or water for the past week; dogs were killed to provide for the group. It also seemed as though they were being stalked. Someone was leaving water and food for them. Rick was suspicious.

"Are we going to be okay?" Beth whispered.

"Yeah," Daryl answered, "We are."

Beth wasn't quite the same person after getting shot. She seemed weaker, not as resolute in her ways, as if the bullet had wiped her entire personality from Beth. To Daryl, she was now a scared girl again. She didn't seem to look at anyone differently, though. Most people with head trauma had memory and behavioral problems that were out of character, this included their perception of people.

Beth gently grabbed Daryl's hand. She was shaking, he felt it. Beth what's wrong? Daryl closed his hands around hers. "What's wrong?"

"What if we don't make it?"

"We will," Daryl wrapped Beth in his arms. He hoped this made her feel better. Back at the funeral home, Beth had seemed so relaxed when they had to share the coffin for a bed. A one person coffin is really meant for one non-moving, deceased person, not two living people. They had made it work though. Daryl had lain on his side, spooning with Beth, arms wrapped around her waist so they both fit.

"I love you," came from the girl lain up against him.

"You do?" He replied. Love was very foreign to him. Daryl didn't understand why she would love him. He was in his thirties, she was eighteen. Wow, I don't even know how old I am. The thought occurred to Daryl that it had been a long time since he actually kept track of his dates.

"I do," Beth said.