Chapter 5

Daryl helped Beth off the bike after they were inside. She was able to stumble now, not exactly walk, but kind of move on her own. Daryl guided Beth towards a pair of sleeping bags. It was really late, and everyone was already asleep. Daryl helped Beth lay down, she was out in minutes.

Rick motioned for Daryl to join him. Daryl climbed onto the car with his crossbow. He found Rick looking out into the darkness, watching for something that was not there. Daryl spoke first. "Hey."

"Hey," Rick said.

Daryl pulled out his pack of smokes, put one in his mouth, and lit it. He took a few puffs as he watched the nothingness ahead of them. Rick stood quietly beside him. They just watched. Every now and then a figure would stumble across the road ahead. So quiet.

"How'd you know?" Rick asked

"A nurse," Daryl replied, "She tracked us from the hospital. Apparently Beth was unconscious when they put her in the morgue. She woke up, so the doctors operated. They sent her to find us."

"Why'd you pull off the road?" Rick asked.

"To smoke," Daryl replied.

"You smoke your hand?" Rick said, nodding towards his hand.

"That's from awhile ago."

"Daryl-"

"You remember what it was like to lose Lori?" Daryl snapped, grabbing Rick's collar, "You were fucking losing it! You were talking to a dead phone line! You were seeing her where she wasn't. You know what it's like to lose someone you love, so don't give me shit for knowing I lost Beth."

"I'm sorry," Rick said quietly. Daryl puffed his cigarette, looking away. They stood quietly. They didn't hear her walk up behind them.

"Hey," Beth said. Both men jumped at the unexpected presence. Daryl and Rick turned and looked down at the girl standing, looking up at them. She had donned a hoodie the group had found while scavenging. It was cold that night, not freezing but not warm either. Beth was holding onto the car for support. She had walked around the circle, car-to-car, to reach them.

"Hey," Rick said, "How's the head?"

"It hurts," Beth frowned, "And I can't remember stuff that well."

"That'll wear off," Daryl said quickly. True, no one in the group knew the effects of a bullet to the brain, but how bad could it be? Beth smiled and reached up. Daryl pulled her up to them, wrapping an arm around her waist to support her. They all looked down the road at emptiness, uncertain of what it held.