Chapter 3

"Where's Daryl?" Rick asked after they'd parked their cars in a protective circle. They had begun this so create a barrier that no Walker could get in. The circle had worked so far, nothing had happened to them while they slept.

Glenn and Abraham went to work making a fire pit. Maggie, Carl, and Rosita started on everyone's beds; they laid out large cushiony quilts on the ground, then sleeping bags, then blankets. When beds were not available they slept on these: better than the floor.

"I saw Daryl pull off the road a while back," Noah spoke up.

"What?" Rick said.

"Daryl pulled over a while back," Noah repeated, "I figured he had to go to the bathroom or something."

"Daryl?" Rick spoke into his walkie-talkie, "Are you there?"

No answer. Rick clicked the talk button a couple of times and waited. Nothing. Rick sighed and walked to the fire and sat down. Where could Daryl be?

Daryl went to Beth's bed and wrapped her in a hug. He couldn't believe it. She was alive. Beth wrapped her arms around him and held tight. Daryl buried his face in her shoulder and let tears escape.

"I thought you were gone," Daryl said quietly.

"I thought the same about you," Beth said.

Daryl took a heavy breath and sat up. He looked around the room, it had all the basic hospital room looks; there was a nightstand, a couple of chairs, a bathroom on the opposite wall, a lamp, sliding glass door, a clock, and an undoubtedly non-working tv on the wall. Beth's belongings were in a chair under the window, all washed clean. Even her boots were free of mud.

"Lets go," Daryl said, trying to help her up.

"Daryl, wait," Beth said, "I can't. I'm not sure I can stand. Let alone fight."

"I'll carry you," Daryl said.

"Ok," Beth said, "and what if you need to fight?"

"I'll figure it out," Daryl said. Beth sat up. She turned off the monitors and grabbed her IV bag. Beth put the bag in her teeth and made a 'turn around' motion to Daryl. He turned, Beth wrapped her arms around his neck, pulling herself onto him, piggyback. Beth pointed towards the chair with her clothes. Daryl complied, carrying her to it.

"Put me down gently," she said. Daryl slid her down to the floor. Her legs were really wobbly. Beth attempted to stand, and started to fall. She caught herself on Daryl's shoulders.

"You ok?" Daryl turned his head to look back at her.

"I can't stand," Beth said. Daryl turned and put his hands on her hips. He got a firm grasp. Beth smiled, looking into his eyes. A hint of a smile showed up on Daryl's face.

"Need help?" Daryl asked.

"Please?" Beth said, hint of embarrassment in her voice.

Daryl held Beth as she dressed, making sure to not look. He helped her when she asked. When she was ready, he grabbed the rest of her stuff, putting it in a bag, which he tied around his neck. Daryl picked her up, piggybacking her out of the hospital towards the car. There were a few walkers outside, but Daryl out ran them. He got to the car Heather had left out front and opened the back.

"Wait," Beth said.

"What?" Daryl said.

"I want to ride up front."

Daryl smiled, and closed the door. He went around to the passenger side, opened the door, and set Beth inside. He tossed her belongings in the back, along with his crossbow. Daryl got in and began to drive back to his bike. Beth closed her eyes and leaned into him. She was no longer alone