Chapter 6

Daryl lay on a sleeping bag next to Beth's. He had his arm behind his head as he stared at the night sky. The stars were out, the sky was clear, there weren't any threatening noises. Nothing. He closed his eyes, ready to nod off to sleep. Then groaning. Daryl looked over to Beth. Her face was contorted.

"Beth," Daryl whispered.

She groaned.

"Beth," Daryl rolled onto his side, laying a hand on her shoulder. She was shaking. Daryl sat up and got a good look at Beth. Her whole body was shaking; seizure. Daryl rolled her on her side and put an arm under her head. It lasted less than a minute.

"Daryl?" Beth said. She sounded scared. She was sweating, red-faced, and breathing heavy. Daryl laid a hand on Beth's side.

"I'm here," he said.

"What happened?" Beth asked.

"I'm not sure," Daryl admitted, "You were seizing."

"Seizing?"

"Yeah."

Beth stared at the ground. It was terrifying. She couldn't control herself; all she could do was watch as the world around her shook and jolted. Her head hurt like hell and she felt overheated. A hand checked her forehead.

"You ok?" Daryl said.

"No," Beth said, "I feel alone. No one else has to go through this."

"You aren't alone," Daryl said. "I'm here. I'm gonna go through this with you."

"Daryl, you don't have to."

"I want to," Daryl scooted close to her, wrapping his arms around her. He pulled Beth into a hug. She lay her head on his chest, listening to his heartbeat, his breathing, his humming. Humming? Daryl didn't used to hum. Beth tried to pick out the tune. It was familiar.

"And we talk, on the phone at night. Until it's daylight, and I feel clever. And I hear the slur in your speech, Yeah, you're half asleep. Say goodnight."

Daryl rubbed Beth's back as she sang. The melodious voice eventually died out as she was soon asleep. He lay back and closed his eyes. Daryl could feel her steady breathing as her chest moved on his stomach; it was relaxing.

Thunder rumbled in the distance as clouds rolled in. The stars disappeared behind thunderheads, soon big rain drops fell slowly, splashing. Daryl woke to a loud thunderclap. Raindrops hit his forehead. Daryl reached into his pack and pulled a large blanket out and over Beth and himself.