The Obsidian Arrow: Chapter 5

Start from the beginning

            The forest was quiet, and every sound of nature she took in. The sound of humming birds fluttering in the wind encircled in her mind. The dragonflies that followed anything shiny she watched as they bounced around the glitters of fresh raindrops on leaves. She pulled out her canteen and drank from it. She felt the liquid seeping through her veins, giving her control again. Control over the body she was in. She would be in control, always.

            She felt more powerful now, and not as weak. She kept the black magic elixir with her. If she ever felt weak she would always take a drink. No matter how much she drak she could not get rid of the weakness of her sister. No matter how hard she tried to forget her, the love only grew stronger with each passing day.

            She changed paths to head another way to Sudegam. The way she was going had too many elves. She decided to find the humans, the weakest race of them all. They had the most in numbers, but they were so scattered without a leader. She could smell them and it was an offal taste in her mouth.

            Soon she came close to the humans. There were five of them talking amongst themselves. She scouted around and found no others. She wondered what these few were doing out by themselves. She smiled at the thought as she crept closer to them so she could hear their conversation.

            “So the elves are letting us stay now?” A blond man asked.

            “It appears so. They’ve finally accepted the inevitable. They now know that the army is coming. We all may be doomed.” A black haired man replied.

            Arria smiled at this. These humans didn’t realize how much was really coming. She remembered the human the discovered Zergiel’s forces. It was before she aligned herself to him. She watched him and was impressed with his courage and strength. Still, it was not her duty to stop him. She actually hoped they’d overcome the wizard, and after they were weak she could strike herself. Yet, now she seemed to be on the old wizards side, for now.

            “I don’t like it out here, it seems too quiet. We should get back to camp.” A brunette said looking around.

            “Are you scared Cameron?” the blond asked smiling.

            “I just don’t have a good feeling.” He whispered.

            Arria decided that it was time. She withdrew her sword and pounced on the blond quickly slicing his throat. She smiled at the remaining four whom three quickly pulled out swords. She balanced her attacks on them fairly relaxed and grabbed a dagger from her belt which she threw into the neck of one leaving her only two opponents.

            “Cameron, help!” yelled one of the men attacking her.

            She smiled as she saw the brunette still standing in place jaw dropped and eyes wide staring at her. He didn’t even attempt to get his sword out. She respected him. He knew that they were all as good as dead and found it useless to even try.

            She quickly dodged a sword and responded with a few slashing causing the men to back off. They quickly came back at her with a high and low slash. She knew she couldn’t avoid both of them and so she slid her leg forward and dropped to her right knee raising her sword to block the low attack. The high sword brushed the air above her hair. She licked her lips and thrust her sword into the groin of the human in front of her. He tumbled to his knees.

            The last came rushing at her and she blocked a few strikes before climbing over him and jumping to land on the other side. She smiled when he turned around to face her and she decapitated his head watching it roll across the ground.

            She walked up to the man bleeding from his groin and laughed. He attempted to fight with one hand on his sword, but she quickly knocked it away and he screamed in terror. The scream was short lived as soon his head rolled off of his shoulders and landed by her feet.

            She set her sword back in its scabbard and walked up to the brunette man still standing staring at her. He hadn’t moved since she appeared and she silently laughed as she saw him take a big gulp. She took her chain mail gloves off and tied them to her pouch revealing her charcoal hands and black fingernails.

            “Why don’t you fight Cameron?” She asked coldly.

            His jaw closed as he took another gulp. “What is the point, I can’t win.”

            “Good point, I’m glad to see a human have some sense.” She smiled circling him now.

            “What are you?” He asked.

            “I am your worst nightmare.” She laughed.

            “Are you going to kill me?” He asked.

            She turned to face him now. She looked deep into his hazel eyes. “Yes.”

            “Please… have mercy.” He begged.

            A smile pursed her lips as she walked closer to him. She gently placed her hand on his face and felt his shivers. Such fear excited her and gave her magic strength. She enjoyed the face of horror that shone into her eyes.

            “Why should I have mercy upon you?” Arria asked.

            “I have children… and… and a wife.” Cameron begged.

            “Mmm… all the more tempting.” She said as she approached her face closer to his. She could feel his warm breath upon her cold face. “How would your wife feel about another woman’s lips on yours?”

            Before he could speak she leaned in and kissed him. At first it was shock that she had kissed him and then the freezing lips caught him off guard. He tried to fight the kiss, but he couldn’t help it. Despite her inhuman looks and evil, she enticed him and he even felt attracted to her now.

            As he sank more into the kiss he felt weaker as if the life was fading out of him. His skin became darker and his eyes widened. He tried to force himself out of the kiss now but it was already too late. The life was draining from his body until his skin was as charcoal as hers. He dropped to the ground, lifeless.

            Arria smiled. “Your wife deserves better if you’re so easily drawn to temptation.”