10.0

D E V I N

Devin knew something was different the minute she opened her eyes. The bright, yellow hospital light glared down at her angrily. Illuminating the room like an artificial sun, too bright in comparison to the dull interior. She wished she could close her eyes and block out the malevolent glare. But even then, the light permeated through her eyelids and dissipated into a light red.

She groaned, reaching up and running a hand over her face, struggling to recall the events that had taken place.

The room.

The woman.

Dark memories slowly resurfaced in her mind until she sat up quickly, her heart thumping and her mind racing.

A strange weight bore down on her chest, and she winced, a feeling of dread spreading throughout her.

Picking herself up slowly, Devin padded out of the room. An empty hallway greeted her, spreading far across on either side, only illuminated by flickering fluorescent lights that glowed ominously in the corridor.

"Hello?" She called, her voice bouncing hollowly off the walls. There was no answer, and the feeling of dread settled heavily in the pit of her stomach. Devin took another step forward, turning right, and started walking down the hall.

Rooms decorated every side, empty, save a few still beeping hospital equipment.

A small sound suddenly echoed through the building, quiet, barely audible. Only barely touching her ears before disappearing into the emptiness.

A cry.

Without thinking, Devin started to run, her feet pounding loudly on the white linoleum floor, her arms pumping at her sides.

The cry resounded again, and she forced herself to run faster, clinging onto the sound like a lifeline.
Gradually it grew nearer, and Devin neared to a stop, her heart racing.

A girl sat a little ways away, her legs folded up to her chest and her head hidden in her hands. She was thin, her small frame not seeming to hold the strength to carry her.

The girl looked up suddenly, and Devin gasped.

Green eyes. Glowing like lamplights in the dim room, bright, like the new leaves that glittered in the Spring.
She knew her.

She had seen those eyes before, except dimmer, worn with age.

"Emily?"

And the girl responded, her mouth parting in wonder and her eyes widening even more.

"Who are you?" She asked wearily, and Devin bent down to eye level with her.

"My name is Devin," she answered softly, "I've met your dad."

"My dad?" She echoed, her voice littered with doubt.

"Yeah, do you remember him?" Devin answered carefully, reaching out and placing a hand on the young girl's frail shoulder.

"Kind of," the girl replied, unshed tears glistening in her eyes, "I remember some things."

"Do you know where we are, Emily?" Devin pushed, feeling the unfamiliar weight weigh down on her chest even more, forcing her to wince. "Have you seen anyone else here?"

Emily looked up at her, her bright eyes suddenly clouding over, as if a fog had descended in her mind.

"No," she replied, her voice shaking, "except...her." The remaining strength that had seemed to be in the young girl, suddenly seemed to be sapped, and she fell back against the wall. Her breathing labored and her eyes staring sightlessly behind Devin's right shoulder.

Devin felt the weight increase tenfold on her chest and she gasped for breath, placing her palm on the cool tile for support.

"..Emily.." She managed, watching in horror as the young girl suddenly convulsed, thin arms raising above her head, as if grasping for something to hold. Blood dripped out of the corner of her mouth, and she let out a wracking cough.

"Poor thing," A sudden voice echoed loudly down the corridors, "I don't think she'll last much longer."

Devin swiveled around as best she could manage, a pair of worn, black shoes meeting her vision. Her eyes slowly traveled up the creature, torn, white dress that clung to her skeletal frame. Small, white butterflies fluttered around her decaying head. Her eyes, empty and hollow, glared sinisterly down at Devin, and her mouth peeled open in a sickening grin.

"Hello, dear," the creature hissed, "welcome to the afterlife." 

Not necessarily impressed with this chapter, but I felt bad for not updating in so long. 

So, there you go.

Probably will revise it soon. 

WE'RE NEARING THE END

WHOO

Happy birthday.