1.0

E M I L Y

"What did you dream about this time Freak?"

"Nothing."

"Tell me, they are always so- interesting."

Laughter filled the air, not the kind that's filled with joy and happiness; no, this laughter was mocking, jeering, taunting. It pushed under my skin, playing with my emotions, slowly killing me.

Friendship was another thing that I could never understand, the fact that one of my closest friends would turn on me in the blink of an eye; leaving me in the dust, right when I needed her most.

Words hurt more if they are from someone you cared for.

"Freak, how was the shrink?- I heard you're a regular there now." More jeering, more angry remarks to leave a scar. I didn't answer, bowing my head; letting my long hair cascade over my face, a lame attempt to hide my shame. Long, dark tendrils that encased my face; a shelter from the storm around. I couldn't tell them, no, I couldn't tell them that my 'dreams' seemed more real than the world around me. That the real world seemed to slip out of my fingers, a virtual reality that I was trapped in. It pulled me down a deep hole, clamping its fingers around my neck and throttling me. The uncomfortable heaviness that foreshadowed tears, burned behind my eyes. A deep weight on my chest as sadness settled in.

Then I saw their faces, kindness only encased their words. Deep love, spilled out from between their lips.

"It's going to be okay, we're going to get you outta' there okay? You just have to hold on."

Then I smiled, because their words, though seemingly spoken through a hollow tunnel, egged me on. A silent encouragement to continue fighting.

Against what, I had yet to know, but the words were real. I just had to believe them.

A little short to begin with, but never fear! The chapters will hopefully get a bit longer!