5.0

E M I L Y

"Who are you?"

"You don't remember?"

A warmth filled me, a peaceful calm that told me all was going to be alright. Then suddenly, shattered, broken pieces of glass flying across the barren room that was my mind. And then all was lost.

"Where are we going?"

"It's for your own good," came the stuttered reply, "we want to do what's best for you." the words sent what felt like waves of ice-water flowing through my veins.

"What are you talking about?" I managed, glancing from one guilty face to the next.

"You're getting worse Em.." came the hesitant reply, "we're doing what's best for you, and for those around you."

I blinked, shock coursing through my body, and tears budding silently in my eyes. I closed them, feeling the familiar burn behind my eyelids and the lump build steadily in my throat.

"You think.. you think I've gone insane." I whispered, my voice catching in my throat and floating quietly in the tense air. The silence that followed was my only response.

Everyday the world drifted away from me like pieces of a puzzle, insanity loomed in the dark corridors I wandered through. Waiting like a lion in shadowed corners.

I felt hope bleed out from the open wound, until all that was left of me was a skeleton of who I once was. Or who I thought I was. Doubt filled my waking moments, and horrors filled my dreams.

Dreams of monsters and ghosts, of pain and anger.
And I fell. Silently at first. But then so loudly, all around  they heard my screams.

I swallowed the lump, forcing it down and opening my eyes. Feeling myself accept the darkness, fall into it, without hope of a savior.

"You're right.. I am."

Sorry for the long wait! More soon to come!