8.0

D E V I N

Devin walked down the hallway quickly, her heart fluttering wildly in her chest and her arms crossed in front of her to prevent them shaking.

It's just a name, she scolded herself, that was all.

But her body didn't seem to get the memo, and had, instead, produced wild butterflies in her stomach and cause a smile to stretch wide across her lips.

It's been awhile since she last remembered smiling like that.

She quickly dodged a few racing nurses, each fighting to get to their respective patients soon.

Your head's in the clouds, she could imagine her mother saying, get it out of there before it falls off. But Devin hardly cared, for the first time in what seemed like decades, she felt happy.

"Excuse me," a voice sounded from beside her and Devin jumped, "sorry for that, I didn't mean to scare you." The voice belonged to an older woman, her eyes twinkling kindly and her hair bouncing up in silver curls around her shoulders.

"It's fine," Devin replied, a smile gracing her lips, "I wasn't paying attention--can I help you with anything?"

"I was just looking for something--but I think I'm lost," came the reply, her arms spreading wide in disbelief as she chuckled good-humouredly.

"Don't worry, I get lost all the time--and I work here--where do you need to go?"

"Just the bathroom," the woman replied again, smiling brightly, Devin nodded and pointed down the hallway.

"It's just down the hall, I can lead you to it if you like, I'm heading that way anyway."

"I would love that, thank you." the woman said, "I'm getting too old for this now, I guess I may just need a bit more sleep." Usually, Devin would find herself exasperated by the elder's slow pace and amiable nature. But the strange, incessant butterflies that had appeared in her stomach refused to leave, and she was still high in the clouds, every step seeming to gain a new bounce.

"Who were you visiting? I can help you get back to your room if you like," Devin found herself volunteering, stunning her own self by her sudden show of kindness.

"That would be lovely, thank you again," the woman gushed as they neared their first destination. "--And I'm visiting my husband, he's in for pneumonia." Devin nodded in understanding, holding on to the woman's elbow and guiding her to the bathroom. As soon as they reached their destination, the woman nodded her thanks and entered the room. Devin stood at the door, leaning against the wall, one foot tapping quietly on the slick, tile floor. She leaned her head heavily on the wall, a small sigh leaving her lips as the minutes seemed to drag by.

Her mind drifting involuntarily back the the incident that had recently occurred, focusing then on the strange man on which was the reason as to why her heart was racing still. 

Dean Carpenter

Who was he? 

The man with the pain-ridden green eyes that seemed to not have seen good in far too long, eyes of a soldier who had witnessed the horrific tales of battle. Yet, still held the faint glimmer of hope, that someday they would once again see peace.

The enigma that she could not seem to solve, no matter how hard she tried. 

After what seemed like hours, the door squeaked open, and the woman exited, humming quietly to herself.

"What room are you in?" Devin asked, holding out her arm for the older woman to clasp.

"1320C," she replied simply, still humming softly to herself. Devin nodded, not bothering to reply as the woman's hums grew steadily in volume.

"What song is that? I think I've heard it before.." Devin trailed off, feeling a sudden sense of fatigue and sleepiness wash over her. She blinked twice, shaking her head slightly. A few doors down, she could see the entrance to their destination, but her feet seemed to gain pounds by the second. Before she realized it, they were at the door.

...The door was opened...

.....An empty, white bed greeted them from the hollow chambers.. 

"Ma'am.." Devin struggled, her tongue rebelling against her as her eyelids struggled against sleep's tempting call, "...where..."

However, she never finished, because  standing in front of her was the woman. Except now, no longer the same woman, but a creature.

A creature with dark, scaly skin that stretched across her face, only broken by two glowing, yellow eyes and dark slits for nostrils. 

The creature's mouth stretched open in a sinister smile, baring small, razor-like teeth.

"Don't worry dear," came the voice from the creatures dark maw, "all you have to do is sleep."  

No, I promise the lady isn't Lord Voldemort.

But yes, in case you are asking, something supernatural is indeed going on. 

Oh the joy. 

*unedited*