28: The More You Know, The Less You Believe

Start from the beginning

"I'm going to get a name on that list."

"We could just glamour them," I suggested.

"There are too many of them. It's too dangerous for you, you're staying here," he said. We both heard a man talking on the phone behind us and Eric ran and grabbed him. I sighed as I waited for him to hide the body.

"If I'm not going in, why am I here?" I asked.

"To help me with this disguise. Grab his bag, I'll get his clothes."

I sighed again and started picking up the things the man had dropped. I flipped through his folders and read off the important information. "He's with the fish and wildlife agency, he's got a meeting with the governor to talk about cranes." When I turned around Eric had already changed into the man's clothes.

"How do I look?" He asked.

"Like you're wearing pants that are too short for you, hold on." I knelt down and cut the hem on his pants so they would get a little longer. "If you weren't so tall this would be a whole lot easier, now you just look like you have badly made pants. Let's see, your hair isn't working." I combed it out and flattened it down. I looked down at the body and snatched his glasses off and put them on Eric. "Roll your shoulders forward, walk with a slouch. Smile a lot." He followed my instructions and I laughed. "Perfect."

"Would you still like me if I looked like this all the time?" he joked.

"I don't know you do look pretty adorable," I said laughing. I stood on my tiptoes and kissed him quickly. "Now go forth and fly like the whooping crane." I waited in the trees until he was gone and then I followed him. I went around the back of the house where there was less security and I walked up to the door.

The security guard stopped me. "Is there a reason you're coming through the back door and not the front?" He asked.

I glanced at my outfit and then back up at him. I channeled by inner teenage girl. "Clearly I'm not dressed for the occasion and I'm supposed to be helping the governor with his campaign, but I totally forgot until I got a text from our manager. You cannot let me get fired, that would be so rude!"

"Is there someone out here?" A girl asked sticking her head out the door.

"This girl says she's part of your dad's campaign, do you recognize her?" The guard asked.

"Oh yeah, come in. I'll find you something to wear," she grabbed my arm and led me inside and upstairs where she steered me down the hall and into her room. "You're not on my dad's campaign are you?"

"How'd you guess?" I asked.

"I know basically everyone on the team. Don't worry though I'm not going to tell on you. I just wanted a little excitement my dad's been going crazy with all this vampire stuff. I don't even really care, you know? I'm Willa, by the way."

I took this as my opportunity to find out a little more about the governor's plans. "Any idea what your dad has been doing with vampires?"

"I guess you mean besides what he's been advertising to the public? He pretty much keeps me in the dark but I hear he's been studying them. I don't know what all that entails but its pissing off a lot of those activist groups." She paused and looked at me. "You aren't a member of that Vampire Unity Alliance or anything are you?"

"I-" Willa cut me off quickly.

"I'd rather not know actually." Suddenly there was a lot of commotion from down below. "Shit there must be a vampire, dad only freaks out when there's a vampire."

Lily, stay hidden. I'll meet you in the trees soon. I heard Eric think at me. I wanted to yell that I was fine and I was being more productive than him. "I should probably go," I told Willa.