Chapter 48. Torment

Start from the beginning

I moved and regained my posture, thinking to myself. So, he's not home at all . . . Where is he?

I spun around and walked to the steps of his porch. I sat down on the third and highest step and stared blankly into nothing. The worry I previously felt became ten times worse. I can't grasp why I'm so worried. It's perfectly normal for people-adults, even-to be out of their house in the afternoon. But I can't deny this feeling that something bad is going to happen.

. . . I think I'll wait for a little while more.

  。。。。。。。。。。。。。  

Several hours later . . .

"Byron, we're almost there." The hooded man spoke as he lead them, "How are you holding up?"

"Bad . . ." The tall man answered, groaning as he pressed a hand on his head.

"We're starting to hear it again." The white-masked man glanced behind him as the ringing returned.

"I can't do anything about it." The man replied, seemingly in much more pain than the other two.

"Here," The white-masked man handed him a small, yellow bottle, "Take it, it will calm you down."

The tall man pushed his hand away, "You know I don't like taking medications like that."

"What choice do you have, Byron?" The hooded figure said in a harsh tone as he gave the other two behind him a look, "It's bad enough you're in this state. My ears are starting to hurt, so you either take it and calm down, or I'll knock you out again like back at Tim's house."

The tall man hesitated, but the throbbing pain on his cheek which the hooded man previously inflicted on him made him decide. He grabbed the bottle from the man and opened it before chugging down several pills like what the man wearing the yellow jacket used to do.

"Good." The hooded figure nodded, "Now, this part of the forest is dense. Watch where you're stepping."

"We shouldn't have gone this way." The white-masked man flatly said.

"Well, Byron's the one who said we have to avoid being seen, so . . ." The man trailed off.

"It's midnight. Everyone's asleep." The man added.

"You can't be sure of that." The tall man interrupted.

The three trudged through the thick bushes and thorny weeds, eyeing far ahead to see if they are close. Through the narrow spaces between each misgiving tree, a sign of civilization appeared. A concrete road can be seen from ahead. As each grew closer, hints of small buildings entered their vision.

"There." The black-masked man said.

"Hey, Brian, where exactly is this?" The white-masked man asked.

"It's the town next to ours. The bad one." The man answered.

The man in the yellow jacket paused before following once more, "That town gives me the creeps."

"Pussy." The man wearing an orange hoodie said as the three of them were walking.

"For once, stop making crude comments like that." The man sighed, "Now's not really the time."

"Shut up, Tim." He retorted before looking behind him, "How's he doing?"

The white-masked man glanced at the man in the suit, "Byron?"