(7) Media

EDITED

I couldn't sleep. The whole night, I was a mess of curls and cold toes. Shivers racked my body with my cries, and chairs slammed downstairs with Aris.

It was to be no different than the last time, with Jonneth. I was sad, Aris became aggravated. Except then I had Ajax to help me move on and look past the media. This time I have nothing.

In the morning I tip toe down the stairs, well aware of the sleeping form on the couch. The curtains are drawn to add extra shadows to the room, and not a sound can be heard. Even the neighborhood kids knew to stay away from the Alpha's house. Aris never slept during the night, not since I met him and probably not even prior. He was a night owl, always doing his work while I was in bed. Avoiding me. Distracting himself from me. He slept during the day, full sunrise to sunset, making me feel even more alone than I already am.

I'd showered, cleansed my face of the salty mess, yet I still could not bring myself to eat. All I could see was the mangled, shredded skin of my beloved. I wanted to wretch out the contents of my stomach, my memories, my own organs. The death of him made me want to end my own, yet I had the force of four more mates, one son, and seven packs relying on me. They needed me alive, and if that wasn't strength I'm not sure what is.

It's a tad past twelve when I make way into the kitchen, dumping the brewed tea Aris had left me. I'd tried to drink it, really. Except nothing tasted like the love of Roman, and just the thought alone almost brought me to tears. I grab the iPad from its charging station, walking go the living room. Aris' house is large, to say the least. Successful. He enjoys luxuries, for one thing. He also enjoys warmth and relaxation. Two things he severely needs in the bitter life he lives. By the dining table, I can see under the chairs the scrapes where he'd ripped them from their places and smashed them against the walls. We'd need to get that fixed. More like we need unbreakable walls with how often Aris becomes irked.

I nestle my way in beside Aris, needing his affection despite his consciousness. I didn't expect him to wake up, and he hadn't by the way he only shifts ever so slightly so my body cocoons next to his. His left hand falls limply over my stomach, and the calming waves draw me into him. This was it, this was the most comfort I would ever receive from Aris.

I lift the iPad up to my face, bathing in pleasure as Aris subconsciously keeps his arm over me. There is an email notification from the Denali pack that makes my heart sink like a rock and stomach contract. I try to relax, however, for Aris is prone to reciprocate my emotions. Hence why he's always right there when I shoot up in the middle of the night, drenched in sweat from my nightmares. I compose my self when his hand starts to inch up, resting firmly over my sternum. I sigh in relief, opening the attached file.

Motherly Noire,

It is in our greatest sorrows we disrupt you during your grieving time. However, time will not settle for our losses, and arrangements must be made. All direct and immediate changes will be made through Vic, as a week of grievance is greatly gifted to you.

Wolves of Denali Mountains and more,
Our apologies and souls go out to you.

A week. The Denali wolves were giving me a week to mourn and return for duty. As bad as it sounds, it was still more than Jonneth's pack had given me. I delete the email, never wanting to read it again. It was going to be the same, always. Roman was my true mate— one of them, and for that I had full rights to his pack. In a week, the treaty would be made. In a week, the pack would continue their lives and I would become their Alpha female leading from far away. Having permanent residence in Aris' pack, technically made him also the leader of the lands if they rightfully no longer had an Alpha male. It was only another reason his and I's names were so popular amongst the media. For our strength, our numbers.