(15) Births

EDITED

From the kitchen, everyone is silent with anticipation. Excitement guides their smiles across their faces, and I try to ignore the troubled frowns with crossed arms in the back. They hide under the shadows, but their green eyes track me with every new step I take.

Once the two candles are lit, I hold my palm windward of them to block any breeze or gust. I balance the plate in one hand, taking the small steps to the table with my own plastered smile.

"Happy birthday to you," The crowd picks up on cue so I am not the only one singing. "Happy birthday to you."

I set the cake down before the head of the table, adjusting the plate so the 4 and the 0 can be read directly. "Happy birthday dear, Alpha." I glance around the darkened room as they nervously take pick on a safe name, purposely avoiding the eyes at the back. "Happy birthday to you!"

The candles blow out, and as he's leaned forward, I press a simple kiss to his cheek. "Happy birthday, Aris." I whispered in his ear, glancing up after a flash blinds me.

I step back quickly, ducking into the heads as concern coats my face. I wanted to disappear before he could register that I'd touched him, and I wanted no memory of how close I'd been to him. The lights turn on around the room, and busy bodies begin passing out plates.

Some were close friends, most were just people Aris worked with. Like Betas, and Gammas. Two other Alphas came, so I knew if I left Aris, he wouldn't be stuck in an awkward position with pack wolves too afraid to speak with him. At least the work mates had formed some sort of stable bond enough to keep comfortable with him.

My waist is squeezed in a death grip as I feel arms wrap around me, and I glance down to a small head of black hair. "I missed you Noire!" My baby sister beams up at me.

I pick her up, swinging her around in the limited space we have with my arms wrapped around her back. Well, she isn't such a baby now. She's got to be nine or so, I hope. I can't imagine her being much older, or me missing that many birthdays of hers. "Gosh, you too Noël."

"Hey," A deeper voice stops my spinning, the dark melody catching me in surprise. "Easy there, you still shouldn't be lifting heavy things."

I set Noël down because he's right, she's gained weight in four years, but still I shake my head at him. "Hello, Jean."

(a/n; I know you wanna say denim jeans but where I'm from we pronounce it John with an accent)

Noël stays right by my side as I take my little big brother into a hug, squashing him.

"Oh Jean, Jean. Your voice is so deep now, you know that?" I'm crying when we pull away from each other, and he gazes at me with understanding. Sometimes you just a big hug from your brother, you know?

"Come," He takes my hand. I don't miss his disrespectful glare to Aris' chair. "Mom's waiting for you in the other room."

I follow him closely with Noël tucked to my side as we walk down a creamy white corridor, goblin statues in each corner with wall crests flowing down the baseboards. I squeeze his hand tightly, making sure to keep a loose hold on Noël's. The door unlatches open, and though the decor is beautiful, there's nothing equivalent to my mother. Nothing, with her straight white hair and grass green eyes. They glowed with hazel flecks like rays of sunlight over a meadow. Hair as soft as the clouds in the sky, skin pale with lack of sun. Slender, tall, everything about her made it obvious I was a replica of my father, and the same with the rest of my siblings. Thick, curly black hair. Eyes the darkest green with navy rings. Skin slightly warmer than hers, figures well rounded and less small. To anyone it would look like adoption due to the lack of resemblance, but that wasn't the case. She's been the only woman in my life since I could remember, and it was the year she was pregnant with Noël that Aris uprooted my life.