Life in the Flames-19

Start from the beginning

“Because it is my fault she is where she is now. I brought her to Floric and that is where she was kidnapped from, so I am responsible,” I said truthfully, but not the entire truth.

Alonia’s mother raised an eyebrow and I knew, just from the look she gave me, she knew truth. She knew how I felt about her daughter. Then she did one of the most unexpected things I thought she would do. She smiled.

Just from that smile I knew she approved. Without even speaking, Alonia’s mother had given me her approval. I could see she was happy for her only child, who once saved, had a chance for happiness. None the less she approved of me, a rival elemental, and a prince of the flames.

“Neal go find Yllianna,” Aubree Seaream asked one of the boys who had escorted us here. After he disappeared into one of the tunnels Ms. Seaream brought her attention back to me. “So what is your plan for rescuing Alonia?”

Oh crap, “Uh well I have a spy inside the emperor’s castle and I was going to get a message to him once we reached the Lathar fire outpost. Then uh-,”

“You didn’t have a plan did you?” Serra asked with astonishment while Aubree nodded her head with a look of understanding on her face.

“You just wanted to try and get to her as fast as you could, am I correct?” Aubree asked. She could see right through me. I nodded and she continued, “I now understand why, my prince, but you will be without a plan no more. I’d like you to meet Yllianna, our best bet to save my daughter,” she said as she motioned for me to turn around.

A young dirt brown color haired girl stood beside me as she stood with her hands on her hips. She was short, only about five foot three and was wearing a white tunic and brown baggy pants tucked into thin wrap up boots that came to her mid-calf. She had strong facial features including her red lips that offset her fair skin color. But all of her features led up to her almond shaped, stubborn looking dark brown eyes.

“ ‘ello zer Prince Reid,” the earth bender said.

…..

Alonia’s POV

“Ah there is my little waterfall!” Brick exclaimed as I stepped through the doors into the large circular dining room. "Come come my dear one!"

Ugh, I thought, these little names of his are getting really old. I wish I could show him the real force of a waterfall.

Two curved wooden tables ran along the curved walls full of men and women dressed in some of the most outrageous and gaudy clothing I had ever seen. I guess they all follow the emperor in style, ugly. I swallowed the nerves that were rising inside of me as I walked to the head table where the pompous emperor sat waiting, in his typical over jeweled garb, excitedly for me.

I could feel the glares, the judging, and hear the whispers but I didn’t care. I had forced myself to be completely numb to it all.

As I silently took my seat next to Brick it took all of my will not to show my displeasure. I managed to keep my face calm as stone even though just being near the man made me want to vomit.

“Now that our guest of honor has arrived, let dinner be served!” Volcin said with a clap of his meaty hands.

Servants streamed in and placed heaping, steaming, plates full of food onto each table. Drinks were poured but everyone sat there until the emperor stood. The courtiers followed but I stayed in my seat while they began to chant something in their language. I only caught the “and rise to rule again,” at the end of it.

Brain washed, he has them all brainwashed.

Volcin picked up his cup with a smile and said, “Let’s eat,” and everyone obeyed.