Chapter 9

"Joker, I have to say, I am so impressed with your progress," said Dr. Leland, sincerely. "When Batman told me about this whole gentleman thing, I thought you'd treat it all as a bit of a joke."

"I do, Doc," agreed Joker, nodding. "Nothing I take more seriously than jokes, you should know that. I'm putting the same amount of time and dedication I do into them as I am into this."

"Well, it's certainly paying off," said Dr. Leland. "It makes me wish you'd take your regular therapy as a joke – then there might actually be some hope for improvement."

Joker thought. "While I respect your opinion, Dr. Leland, I have a duty to inform you that I have absolutely no intention of trying to improve my sanity. But I thank you for your advice, and I appreciate your concern."

"That's very good, Joker," said Dr. Leland. "Do you see how you can make even refusing people sound good when you're a little polite?"

"Oh yeah, this whole gentleman act is a laugh riot," agreed Joker. "Use a little manners and politeness and people don't care what you do! For example..."

He stood up, clearing his throat. "I'm afraid I have to inform you that I'm now going to break out of this asylum. It might cost the lives of some of your employees, but of course I wouldn't dream of harming my esteemed tutor. Taking the life of so intelligent and beautiful a woman would truly be a crime," he said, bending down to kiss her hand. And then locking her wrists in a pair of handcuffs, which he attached to the chair. "Au revoir, Doc!" he said, blowing her a kiss as he left.

Dr. Leland sighed, struggling uselessly against the handcuffs. "Well, at least he complimented me," she muttered. "And he didn't kill me. Grateful for small blessings, I guess..."

...

"Well, it's good to see you at last, Jonathan!" said Tetch, as Crane entered the living room with Lenore on his shoulder. "You and Harley have both been keeping to your rooms so much that I'd almost forgotten I was harboring two wanted criminals! I take it things didn't go well, then?"

"No, they did not," sighed Crane, sitting down. "And I don't expect you to refrain from gloating."

"My dear Jonathan, I never gloat," retorted Tetch. "It's positively ill-mannered to do something like that. Especially when I know exactly what you're going through."

He lay a hand on his shoulder. "It's not the end of the world, you must understand that," he said, firmly. "You can be happy again without her."

"It certainly doesn't seem that way now," sighed Crane.

"No," agreed Tetch. "And it might not for some time. It helps to focus on the little things, though. You see, in Wonderland, with just the aid of a very small cake, one can grow to enormous size."

"I don't understand your point," retorted Crane.

"My point is that the little things lead to big things," explained Tetch. "My goddaughter is very little at the moment, but she has filled up a huge void in my life. I imagine your bird has done the same for you," he said, nodding at Lenore, who nuzzled Crane's cheek. "Your little act of kindness in saving her when she fell from her nest has turned into a companion for life. And I think most little things grow to big things in time. We must never take them for granted."

Crane nodded. "I also know words don't help," murmured Tetch. "They are only flimsy things after all, which can be pushed away like a pack of cards. And sometimes that's the best thing to do with them. But please don't push away the people who care about you. They are very real, and very genuinely concerned about you."