Chapter 15

Mckayla

The stream of emotion between Nina and I was hectic for the next several hours. We talked, keeping space from the pack, overall equally feeling a lot more confident in our relationship than in the last several months.

"How long will you be gone?"

Many of my new pack members were beginning to feel the loss of me physically not being present for the next week. Virginia was the last place I wanted to have this council meeting. I could understand their worry. They had gone too long without an Alpha and now that they had one I was leaving for a week.

I would have left a few days earlier but Nina and Cormic convinced me enough to drive to the damn State. The whole, they weren't going to be running that far, thing turned them off from my original plans.

I cupped one of my pack's face, giving her the comfort she needed along with a few other pack members. "It is important that I attend. Trust this much when I say I don't want to go...but have to."
It took me having to explain to a few women in my pack that I was with Nina but unless I went Alpha and scary threatening on them, the women in my pack still looked at me in a way that made Nina frown. As for the men, it was somehow easier for me to get them to back off. Having some of the new women in our pack still pinched a nerve in Nina but our relationship was taking a step into the right path. That's what mattered.

I hated the way our relationship was and how close we were--how close I was to ending it.

"We're going to miss you." Another woman in my pack happily let me know. I nodded earnestly ready to head out. Only a few more people to see.
Walking over to Laurie she automatically fell into my arms. I kissed the top of her head, squeezing her with the promise of coming back as fast as I could.

"We will have to talked about you and Karen," I whispered.

Laurie held fear in her eyes looking up at me. "We haven't done anything. Not even kiss...I swear..."

"Hey...hey...relax. I do not disapprove of Karen. I already trust her to take care of you rather I'm around or not." I brushed some of her hair out her face. "There is just so much more you and her need to learn and experience. Being a Were is an amazing and a thing to treasure. As mates...that is even more honorable."

"We're far away from being mated..." Laurie said with a flushed expression.

I smiled. "Oh...I know. A few more years at least. But...she is your mate," I said sure of that, without giving her room to question or deny.

Karen stepped down from the porch, and I could see a faint blush rise in Laurie's cheeks without seeing Karen's approach. When mated or en route, you just knew when your other half was close.

"Please keep an additional eye on my girls...both of them."

Karen stood straighter feeling honored I'd given her that responsibility in taking care of Laurie and Kaylee. I felt proud to give it to her and that's why I did.

I had no doubt Bran would do a great job keeping my pack safe. I was leaving him in charge. He was my Prima with Sara now running second to him.
My sister walked up to me, looking in pain from only walking down the stairs. Sara was a foot behind her, close and protective.

"I want to speak to you alone."

I nodded and held her hand as I helped her walk a few steps off in distance. "You're going to be fine?"
"Yes...why wouldn't I be?" My tone was defensive. It was a habit I couldn't step out of. For the last two days I was asked that on more than one occasion.
Rachel gave me a concerned look.

"Rachel...I'll be fine. You...and everyone else stop asking." I said that loud enough to make sure everyone heard me.

"Ah haven't asked ye a damn thing yet." Rosalie's voice cut into our conversation as if disappointed with not giving her input. With the death glare I gave her, she changed her approach of topic..."stop looking like ye want to claim me...ah am teasing ye."
I rolled me eyes.