Chapter 23

Mckayla

For nearly twenty minutes I called out to Elena, my back not thoroughly healed for me to approach her. She drank two cups worth of blood through the bottle, finding the need for the taste more. I could feel through Elena's own desire for the blood how delicious it tasted.

Her mind was closed off to me, her body most likely in shock from the taste of human blood. If it had been a few centuries since she last drank human blood I was positive her body was feeling the after effects of it.

I'd drank from a human barely a day ago and the need for more was already present. Another several minutes passed when I could stand. My back was healed but I still leaned against the wall for support. I ambled to Elena closing my eyes to prepare for the pain I was about to feel.

Wrapping my hands around the silver stake penetrated through Elena's abdomen, I growled as my hands felt the scorching pain from the silver. I breathed out harshly, pulling the silver stake from out of her.

Elena winced and I ran my fingers through her hair to calm her. "I have the remove them."

Reaching up I pulled out the stake from one of her hands and than the next, tossing them on the concrete ground. Instantly, Elena fell into me and I held her up, slowly laying her against the wall as I slid down beside her.

I opened up my vein at my wrist, offering it to her. Elena shook her head no, pushing my wrist from her mouth.

"You need to feed. Counteract the human blood."

"It's too late for that." Her voice was muffled with a straining tone. "You haven't fed." Elena lazily held her arm out to me.

I looked down at it than up to her eyes. "No," I snarled. "You're barely hanging--"

"I will determine how much I can handle." Elena gradually twisted her head to mines, locking our eyes. "Now drink."

"And I said no."

"Damn it, Mckayla..."

"I might be sired to you but I know what it's like to lead and give too much to others and have nothing left for yourself." I grabbed Elena's face staring her down deeper. "Only this time, you might push yourself over the edge being overly protective."

"It is my--"

"You tell me it's your job one more fucking time..." I threatened.

Elena turned away making a pointless sigh. Things got quiet between us as I felt her slipping away again to the thoughts of human blood.

"Focus on me, Elena." When she didn't answer, I slapped Elena across her face gaining her attention. If I let her drift into her thoughts I was afraid she wouldn't come out of it for a while.

Lifting her head up to me, Elena eyes staid fixed on me. Her eyes lit to a bright sapphire. "Don't test me right now."

I saw no anger in her expression yet very present in her tone. "Than don't sink yourself so easily into the lust of blood."

"It's not that easy."

"I believe that." I twisted more to Elena. "I know you. And you have more fight than this."

"You don't no me that well."

I snarled. Why was she pushing me? "That's your own choosing."

Silence overlaps into annoyance when I bumped my shoulder purposely into Elena.

"Stop--"

"What are you going to do about it? Your weak."

Elena sneered finding her inner strength like I wanted. Unfortunately, for me she twisted pressing her fingers tight around my throat, hovering.