Chapter 16

Nina

"Babe...maybe it wasn't smart of you to invite Elena last night."

I listened along the stairway as Lani talked to Sam about Elena's unexpected visit last night. "That was evident," Sam spoke dryly.

"You have a habit of trying to maintain control over the things and people that lives are a little screwed up. Your a fixer."

Sam huffed loud enough for me to imagine that exasperated look I knew Mckayla made multiple times herself. I'm so eavesdropping right now. Walk away.

"I can't help it," Sam whined.

I smiled knowing at this point Lani would be embracing her mate comforting her, though it was Sam's sly way of getting Lani to hold her.

"I just know these two women. Their totally different and stubborn. But this is different."

"Kayla has her mate."

"Look...whoever Kayla chooses I will support. But...she hasn't chosen. Her hybrid at least hasn't . When I first met Kayla...all she cursed was Nina's name. There was anger and bitterness. I think Nina is sweet. Just not strong enough to take on Kayla as a mate."

I pulled away from the stairs making the decision to enter the room Mckayla spent the night in alone. I couldn't hear anymore.Pretending I wasn't hurt that she closed herself to me was taking a toll on my emotional level of stability. Her friends thought I wasn't strong enough for Mckayla.

I opened the door without permission finding Mckayla leaned against the wall, sleep. The skin around her eyes were tight alerting me that Mckayla was very much aware of my presence, forcing herself to wake.

"We should be getting ready for today." I sat on a chair that I'd pulled across the room to her. There was no bed in here, clearly letting me know Mckayla truly didn't believe in beds.

"Who was the friend that gave you this house?" The question was not the first thing on my mind but it was a start.

Mckayla's eyes staid closed but I could hear her heart beating faster. "I told you I was a different kind of Were..." Mckayla silenced waiting for me to look at her. "You mind as well know. You'll find out soon enough." Mckayla played with the carpet in the floor, pulling at tiny strings. She had a habit of touching or picking at things when something was on her mind.

"I use to be just as bad as the rogues we faced. Worse. That's how I met Sam. She had a contract with my name on it. Right here in Virginia."

I tried not to make a reaction, only taking the time to listen. How did Sam go from hunting Mckayla to befriending her?

"I met a woman." Mckayla closed her eyes as if to visualize the woman she was bringing up. Her breath fell low and soft, like a soothing calmness over her memory. "She was human. Beautiful, smart...several years older." Mckayla opened her eyes to me as if to see my reaction. I made nine and she continued. "I'd only been with two humans before. This one...I was hooked. Too hooked. She knew what I was and didn't care. I thought..." Mckayla's eyes wondered off a bit..."maybe she would be the one to make me change." Hearing Mckayla snort absently pushed me to listen and observe her closely. "Nina...I was thee definition of a killer and enjoyed it. My enemies here heard about my human lover and decided one night to teach me a long term lesson."

"Mckayla..." my heart sank for the woman Mckayla was telling me about.

Mckayla waved me off. "I deserved it. She didn't deserve to die...but I deserved to suffer." Standing up, I did the same as Mckayla pulled her shirt from over her head. "She left this house in my name. She told me...maybe one day...I'd learn to settle down and this would be the house to do that in."