Chapter 21 - Everything I Am

Start from the beginning

He sighed heavily. "Look, its best we get you out of here. I'll drive you back."

"No. No you won't."

"Ariel—"

"Where?" My eyes widening at him in panic. "To mine? Or Dante's?"

He didn't answer. Just ran his eyes over me and practically deflated in front of me, roughly taking his hand over his head in a motion of frustration or uncertainty...I really couldn't decide which. Maybe both.

With a huff, he then furiously took off his jacket and threw it over the back of the now vacated bar stool as he settled next to me. He raised his hand for the barman.

"Malcolm, tell me where he is." I said again, this time even more persistent. I tried so hard to steady my voice though I seriously doubted I was pulling it off. "I don't need any more drama for tonight I just—" I stopped myself before I could let slip about what happened with Nate.

"Anymore?" Malcolm queried at me. "What do you mean?"

Damn it. I wasn't going to tell him about Nate. As far as I knew Nate had already left. Making a big deal out of somebody who was no longer in the building was a waste of time. Nobody needed to fight up in here. And from the look on Malcolm's face I thought I had bigger things to worry about right now. Like where the hell Dante was.

I dismissively shook my head in response. "Nothing. I don't know what I'm saying."

"Ariel..." Malcolm started but didn't finish. I heard a hard released sigh from him before he took one look at me and then reached for the drink the barman had given him; he pushed it over to me. "That's yours. Something strong. You're gonna need it."

Alarm spread through me almost immediately. I tried to push the unease as far away from my mind as I could, but this crutch of a drink I supposedly needed was sitting ominously in front of me, and looked like a confirmation that what I was feeling had actual merit to be there. I took one look at the glass and then at Malcolm.

"What is going on?" My voice was getting ever increasingly unsteady as if fear was wrapping itself around my throat and strangling my chords. I took a deep breath to compose my voice before speaking again. "Malcolm, so far you've been the only forthcoming one. Dante feels like if I don't know everything that somehow it's gonna keep me safe. He's wrong." I looked at him, imploring through my eyes.

Malcolm wouldn't say anything. Or as far as I could see it, he was trying to, but didn't know how.

"Listen Malcolm, you're scaring me." I said shrill. I could hear myself getting affected by my over-active emotions. I was already all over the place. I had defended Dante to Nathaniel. I needed to know where the hell he was! "Please. I need to know where he is. And if I'm honest, looking at you right now is freaking me out."

He passed a look my way before pushing the drink back at me. "Drink, Ariel."

"No."

"Okay, I'll drink."

I took it from his hand and it slightly spilled before passing it over to the barman. "He doesn't want it." I told the barman. "Thanks."

He hit the bar frustrated and cursed harshly. He got up; grabbing his jacket and shoving it back on.

"You're not doing me any favours here." I told him. "I'm worried about him."

"I know. Look..." Said malcolm, looking at me. He paused and swiftly took me by the shoulders "What has he told you?"

I looked rapidly between his stern brown eyes. "What do you mean?"

"About him. How much do you know exactly? Tell me everything."