84. The Whomping Willow

Start from the beginning

Hermione's eyes fluttered open and she looked up. Seeing Harry's face so close to her, she jumped, startled. "How did I get-" She looked around. "Did you move me?"

"Yes," Harry admitted. "You didn't look comfortable where you were. Ron wants to go for a walk. Are you up to it?"

She gave him a weak smile and then she turned away to yawn. "Sure. Just let me change out of my robes first."

Harry and Ron stared at her strangely.

"You already did," Ron said. "Before you fell asleep."

Hermione looked down at her outfit. "Oh. Right. Let's go then. Where did you want to walk to?"

"Oh I don't know. Maybe down toward Hagrid's. We haven't seen him in a while, have we?"

"No, we haven't," Harry answered. "I think that's a great idea."

"Me too," Hermione agreed. "Let's go."

The three of them walked down to Hagrid's and knocked on the door. He opened it right away, his mouth curving into a smile.

"Great to see you lot. Haven't seen yeh in a long time 'cept fer classes. Come on in."

The trio gladly went inside as Hagrid stepped out of the way to let them by, and he closed the door. They made themselves comfortable as they often did in Hagrid's home, and talked to him about their classes. He seemed genuinely interested in what they had to say, asking them questions along the way, and reacting to the things that surprised him or fascinated him in some way. They told him about the search of their Harry and Ron's room and asked him if he knew anything about it. He told them that he didn't.

"I've lost Scabbers," Ron said sadly. "They asked me about him when they searched mine and Harry's room. I don't know why they would be looking for my rat."

"They were," Hermione said, stroking her chin thoughtfully, "but why? That's what we can't figure out. What would Professor Evans and Professor McGonagall want with a rat? They acted like it was urgent."

"Mum practically yanked me awake," Harry added. "The only time she's ever done anything like that is when she thought I was in some sort of danger."

"Why would you be in danger from Scabbers?" Ron asked. "That's silly."

Harry shrugged. He had no idea what the answer to that question was.

"I don't know why they would want 'em, but I can help yeh find yer pet," Hagrid told them.

He got up and walked over to, what looked like some sort of cookie jar, and took off the lid. He dipped both hands inside and lifted up a small creature.

Ron's eyes widened in surprise. "Scabbers!"

"You should keep a closer eye on yer pets, Ron."

Ron kept a tight hold on the rat as he petted him affectionately.

"What about that business with Buckbeak, Hagrid?" Hermione asked. "What happened at the hearing?"

Hagrid smiled proudly. "They didn't have sufficient evidence to sentence him to death so he's a free Hippogriff."

"That's great."

"Yeah," Harry agreed. "Such good news."

The three of them stayed a little bit longer and then they left. It was nearly sunset when they said their goodbyes to Hagrid and went on their way. They made it to the top of the stone steps and Hermione stopped. She was gazing off into the distance, staring in the direction they had just come from.

"What is it?" Harry questioned.

"Nothing," she answered. "I just love to watch the sun set. It's beautiful."

"Yes it is."

Ron made a face. "You two are disgusting."

Harry and Hermione burst out laughing. After a few seconds, Ron joined them. They were about to go forward when Ron suddenly cried out.

"Ouch!" Scabbers dropped to the ground and started running. "He bit me! Scabbers bit me!" There was a huge drop of blood on the finger of the hand he had been holding him in, but he didn't seem to care. He took off after the rat anyway. "Scabbers!"

Harry and Hermione stood by helplessly, watching as Ron chased his rat. There was nothing they could really do for him. Ron finally got a hold of him, coming to rest at the base of a very large tree.

"Harry, do you realize what tree that is?" Hermione asked. Her eyes were on Ron.

He followed her gaze. Harry did recognize it. It was the Whomping Willow. He ahd to warn him away before he got hurt. The tree was starting to move a little.

"Ron, run! That's the Whomping Willow."

Ron looked up in his direction and his face suddenly twisted in fear. "Harry and Hermione, run! It's the dog!"

Harry and Hermione whirled around. The dog was snarling, it's teeth bared, and it's eyes straight ahead. The dog wasn't looking at either of them. Hermione got as close as she could to Harry. He saw that the dog was ready to pounce and he moved her out of the way in hurry. The big black dog jumped over them, growling menacingly. It went straight for Ron and grabbd him by the pant leg. The dog then started to drag him toward the Whomping Willow. There was a small opening that Harry hadn't noticed before and that's where the dog seemed to be heading with Ron.

Harry hopped to his feet and ran forward, trying his best to catch up with Ron, shouting his name and telling him to hold on every breath. Ron was crying out for Harry and reaching for him, knowing that if the dog was allowed to take them that he would probably be killed. There was no doubt that he was scared out of his wits. Harry dove and tried to grab his hand but he was just short of reaching him, by inches, when he disappeared inside of the hole.

Hermione got up off the ground. She had been frozen there, not knowing what to do. She got to Harry just as he stood up again. "We have to get down there," she breathed.

"I won't let him hurt, Ron," Harry vowed. "Let's go."

She nodded and took his hand. They went forward, dodging hits from the tree as best they could. It was using it's branches to try and flatten them. After a long battle with them, Harry was thrown by Hermione into the hole. He landed with a thud inside. Hermione was tossed in a few seconds later, right on top of him.

"Oh I'm sorry," Hermione apologized.

"We have to stop meeting like this," Harry said. He had meant it as a joke, but it was bad timing and he knew it.

Hermione blushed and smiled, but it faded as quickly as it had came. She got up and dusted herself off and Harry did the same.

The passageway they were in was dark and damp. There was a musty odor to it, but it looked like it had been there a long time.

"Where do you suppose this goes?" she asked.

The more Harry looked around, the more his stomach did flip-flops inside of him. "I think I might have an idea."

He had seen the area on the Marauder's Map, but he hadn't paid much attention to anything else except the fact that it lead out of the grounds.

Suddenly it made sense. Sirius Black had gotten into Hogwarts somehow and it abruptly occured to Harry he might have used this path they were taking now. And if he had been using it, he would need some place to stay, and the only place Harry could think of that no one would be using was a very old, and very haunted, Shrieking Shack.

 "I just hope I'm wrong."