"Jenny!" I whine and put my head in her lap. She starts caressing my hair, easing out some of my restlessness.

"Cabir broke down today!"

"Well, that had to happen. Could you be there for him?"

"No. Manik did that, though. He started talking and Cabir relaxed." I say in a small voice.

"So he is sensible and caring too. I really like the guy. What about you?"

Why is Jenny asking me this? Has she noticed the effect he has on me. Shit. I know she has.

"I guess so." I mumble.

"So it's just physical attraction for now, then?

"What? It's....not like that." I am stunned and embarrassed by Jenny's straightforward question.

"Oh yes! It is, darling. You know, I know you like the back of my own hand!" She says proudly.

"Fine. I might be a little attracted to him." I admit. "But that's about it. It's not like I am going to get involved with him or something."

"Why not?"

"Jenny!" I groan in exasperation. "Haven't we had this discussion about a thousand times already? I can't trust anyone. You know that!"

"We will have this discussion as many times as it takes for your thick skull to get that there's nothing wrong with trusting people. You have to let go of the bad experiences and move on, Nandu! It's been a long time."

I have nothing to say. Because I know she is right. But I can't just forget everything that's happened to me!

"I am sleepy. Good night." I dismiss her. She looks at me with sadness and all the love in the world.

"Good night, sweetie! I hope someday you will listen to me."

..........

I am sitting at breakfast alone. Jenny is not back from her jogging yet. I am spreading butter on my toast as I see her walking in, with Manik. I focus on my toast, adamant on remaining composed.

"Good Morning!" Jenny chirps.

I am about to answer when my phone rings, distracting me. It's Nyonika. What the fuck does she want so early in the morning?

"What is it?" I snap into the phone.

"This is no way to talk, Nandini. How many times do I have to tell you?" She says in her shrill voice.

"Shut the fuck up and come to the bloody point." I yell, with as much venom as I can muster. I so hate her.

"Nandini! I won't have you talking to me like this." She yells back.

"Just delete my number, then!"

"I don't have time to argue with you. I just wanted to tell you that we are extending our vacation by a week. And, in our absence, you are not to go anywhere without your bodyguard. I hope I have made myself very clear." She says and hangs up quickly, not giving me scope to swear and scream.

Who the fuck does she think she is? Why can't she butt the hell out of my life?

I get up from my chair, grab my bag and storm out of the house, fuming in anger.

I get into the driver's seat and Manik hops in quickly beside me.

We have been driving for 10 minutes and my phone is continuously ringing. I know it's Jenny. But I don't want to talk to her right now. Hearing Nyonika's voice did just what it always does, made me angry as hell.

After some time, my phone stops ringing and beeps once. Jenny sent a message. I grab my phone and read it.

"Just so you know, I invited Manik over for breakfast. But, since you went into that lovely, little fit, he couldn't have it."

I stop the car suddenly, making the tyres screech.

"You didn't have breakfast." I say, looking straight ahead.

"Yes, I know that." He says simply.

I start driving and take a right from the traffic signal.

"Where are we going?" He asks. "If you don't mind me asking."

"To get breakfast."

I stop at a cafe after five minutes and get down. He follows.

We are seated at a round table in the corner. The waitress makes her way to us and, on seeing Manik, starts gaping and staring. Her cheeks flush. This annoys me further.

"Good morning! What can I get you?" She says sweetly to him and places menu cards in front of us. Her eyes are fucking glued to him. But he is looking at me with a passive expression.

"Go ahead." I say.

"One cheese sandwich and one coffee." He says, looking at the menu.

When the waitress does not say anything, because she is lost in him, he looks up. She quickly composes herself and turns to me.

"And what can I get you, miss?" She asks me.

"Nothing." I glare at her.

"Let's go then. I am not eating, either." Manik says, getting up.

"Yes you are. Just sit down." I order.

After a moment, he sits down and looks at the waitress.

"Toast with butter and orange juice, as well." He says to her. She quickly scutters away.

"What the hell! Did you just order for me?" I say through gritted teeth.

"That's what I saw you having at breakfast. So I ordered for it."

"Who the fucking hell are you?" I scream and get up.

I am about to get out of the cafe and drive off, leaving him there, when I feel a hand gripping my arm firmly around the elbow. I turn around. It's Manik's.

Oh freak! I freeze.

The feeling of this mere physical contact starts dominating over my anger. All I can think about at this moment, is the fact that he is touching me. My insides start to melt and my heart is hammering in my chest. I know I must look like a fool, staring at him when I was about to storm out. But I don't fucking care. All I care about is his warm hand, gently gripping me......

"Please come back in and eat." He says, his soft, brown eyes pleading me. He withdraws his hand. And I feel like something has been snatched away from me.

"Okay." I say and follow him inside.

Magically, I can't feel even one bit of the anger I was burning in a couple of seconds ago.
.
.
.
.
.