Pups Leave the Lookout

A boy stood by a railing, looking out over the ocean. He sighed, taking in the breathtaking sight. The sun had just begun to rise, breaking away the fog that had drenched the area. He took out his phone and, careful not to shake too much, snapped a photo. "Perfect," he whispered with a smile. "The last sunrise at the Lookout." He may have been smiling, but, deep down, he was conflicted with emotion.

On one hand, he was happy. He had finished a good job, had good, loyal friends (although they were a bit furry). Moving out should have been a joyful experience. Yet, he was also worried. How were they taking the news? How do they really feel?

He heard the screen door open behind him. "Ryder, sir?" a voice yawned. "Why are you up this early?"

Smiling, Ryder turned around to see his adolescent German shepherd. He had grown over the years, they all did. One thing Ryder didn't understand, though, was his tail. It was long, almost oversized for him. Chase loved it, though, Ryder could tell. "Just watching the last sunrise."

"Oh." He joined his master, settling at his feet. His long tail curled around them. With a chuckle, Ryder pat his head, continuing to watch nature at work. "Ryder?"

"Yes, Chase?"

"Do we... Do we really have to go?" he whined. His big brown eyes looked into Ryder's, nearly begging.

Ryder knelt down to his level. "I'm afraid so. I don't like it as much as you do, but it's the law." Chase growled, but hushed himself under Ryder's embrace.

Recently, Humdinger had managed to beat Mayor Goodway in the election. His first order of business?

PAW Patrol was banned from Adventure Bay. Forever.

Ryder and many of the town had protested against such actions, but 'Mayor' Humdinger didn't care. Law was law. He gave them up to a year to leave. Today was the last day.

"Come on," Ryder said. "We've got to finish packing." They headed inside, Chase's head and tail lowered.

"I'll wake the pups," Chase said quietly. Even through their teenage years, they never told Ryder to stop calling them pups. It was a part of them that would never be taken. A part of their innocence. Their youth.

Ryder nodded, taking one long look at the Lookout. Boxes were strewn everywhere, filled with personal items and memorabilia. He had made the pups put their things in their houses and made sure they were secured in the PAW Patroller. He wished he could just take the Lookout with him, but, unfortunately, that wasn't legally possible.

Don't think he didn't try. He and Rocky spent hours at a time trying to develop the technology. It was possible, though it would take years to create. Even if they could, the Lookout was government property, no matter who was Mayor.

Picking up a few of the boxes, he took the elevator down to the Lobby. There, the pups were eating breakfast. They were quiet. It had been like this for the past month. Eat quietly, pack a few things, enjoy the outdoors while they could. It was depressing.

They couldn't afford to find another home. Humdinger had cut their funding. Fortunately, they had the PAW Patroller, which ran on solar power. They would be joining Carlos, Ryder's pen pal in the Jungle. Ryder was grateful; the jungle had everything they would need.

But nothing would compare to Adventure Bay.

As he placed the final box in the PAW Patroller, he heard a car pull up. Turning, he smiled, watching as Katie climbed out. She rushed over to him, embracing and kissing him. "When do you leave?" she asked.

"Soon," he replied sadly. They hugged once more, never wanting to leave each other's grip. "I'm going to miss you so much." He choked on the words, hugging her tighter.

"I love you," she said.

"I love you, too." The pups came out, having heard her car. "I love all of you," Katie said. She hugged each pup individually. Skye was bawling as she hugged her.

Ryder set up his phone on the front of the PAW Patroller. "One last photo, pups." They all gathered, Katie included. Marshall, being his usual clumsy self, tripped over his paws, knocking them all over. He landed in Ryder's arms. They laughed and the camera clicked. They laughed even more, realizing what the picture would look like.

"Well, it's time," Ryder declared. Tails drooped, ears folded as they climbed into the PAW Patroller. They waved at Katie, sad smiles on their faces. "Robo-Dog, set a course for Carlos, please." Robo-Dog barked, slowly pulling away from the Lookout. They all looked back at it one last time as they crossed the bridge. "Take the longer route, through town."

As they drove slowly, many residents came out, cheering them. They waved goodbye with tears in their eyes. Mr. Porter and Alex stood in front of the shop, waving. Alex cried, hugging his grandfather. Soon, they reached the outskirts. They could just make out the Lookout before it disappeared behind the mountains.

The pups curled up in their seats, not saying a word. Ryder did the same, sitting quietly as he watched the scenery go by. Gloom filled the PAW Patroller quickly, an uneasy feeling spreading among them.

Marshall was the first to openly sob. As quietly as he tried, though, it could be heard. Rocky hugged him, crying as well. The rest of the pups came up, embracing each and sobbing. Ryder couldn't take anymore. He stood up, walking towards them. He sat by them with his head down. The pups rushed over, hugging him, together. They held each other, tears flowing.

"We'll be alright," Ryder finally said. "There's an entire world of opportunity out there." They smiled, wiping their tears.

Chase stood tall, saluting Ryder. "No job is too big..."

The pups followed suit. "No pup is too small!"

Ryder smiled. "PAW Patrol is on a roll!" The pups cheered. As they traveled through the mountains, leading to the jungle, the sun sat high in the sky.

They would get through this.

Together.

A/N: Sorry for the short "One Shot". I just got new glasses and everything's a bit fuzzy, so I'm not writing much.

Vote for the next "One Shot"!

http://strawpoll.me/6160944

If the link doesn't work, vote in the comments:

1) "Caught Red Pawed"

2) "School of Anthro" (AU)

3) "Second Chance" (AU) (pt. 2)

4) "Rocky Bottom" (pt. 2)

Let me know what you thought of the story! Sad, yes, but it's the PAW Patrol! They can get through anything!

~Dox