Chapter 2

The rising sun is beginning to trickle in through the dirty curtains hanging at my window. Frost lines the glass, once again reminding me just how close winter is. I stay in bed for longer than I probably should. There's no need to rush; there's no one but me to care for. Hell, I could stay in bed for three days straight and nothing would happen. I groan as I stretch out my abused joints. My thin blanket flops onto the wooden flooring, and for just a moment it is finally calm. I'm too tired to care about my parents or the loss of my friends. I'm too tired to worry about the possibility of riots or looters. All my issues are like distant nightmares I used to have as a kid. I stand up, not bothering to put on a pair of pants. I yawn. Today would be such a wonderful day to take off, my mind wanders through made up scenarios of what a day at home would entail. I would much rather lay in bed and ignore life altogether. Yet, it can't be so.

I have a job in the timber yard. I'm paid to go out all year and cut down trees for firewood. It's not a job that makes very much at all, but a job in the current economy is hard to come by. I trudge out to the main living space with stiff bones. It shocks me to see YoonGi making breakfast and cleaning the dishes he used. Until just now, I had forgotten he was even here. He has a neat pile of clean dishes on the counter. I clear my throat. YoonGi turns around quickly with widened eyes. He looks nervous-- maybe even scared.

"Forgive me, Jimin. I have not yet learned where things go." He kneels down in front of me, bowing his head. "I tried; I am sorry. I will do better tomorrow." I frown at him. I'm much too tired for any weirdness today. His hands rest on the floor as if pleading for forgiveness.

"Get up." I grab under his arms and pull him up onto his feet. "You don't have to apologize for doing my chores, YoonGi." His eyebrows come together in a sense of confusion.

"But they are my chores, Jimin. You are to relax." He grabs my hand, smiling brightly at me. I look down at our hands in surprise. His hands, much like the rest of him, are beautiful. He has long and thin fingers that end in perfectly shaped nails. They are incredibly soft; they're unlike my own calloused hands. I let him lead me back to the table and push me into a chair. "I am unsure of what you would like in the mornings so I made a simple egg dish." He turns to the oven where a plate sets with two eggs on top. Setting it in front of me, he returns to his normal stance with his hands clasped in front of him. His blue hair is combed to perfection and his makeup is redone and flawless. I take note that he never changed his clothing from last night. The shirt is no longer fixed to show his shorts, but I can only assume he still has them.

"Thank you." I say. He nods. I stare at him. "Are you going to sit?" I motion to a chair. He laughs nervously, quickly sitting in the chair beside me. He looks up at me expectantly.

"So, I, uh," I scratch the back of my head, "I guess we should talk about us?"

"Us?" He repeats me with a smile.

"I know your name is YoonGi, and that you're a Doll. That's it." I set my chin in my hand. "Tell me about yourself."

"Jimin, I do not know what you want to know."

"Okay, how about... How old are you?" I ask. "I'll be 18 within the month." YoonGi looks down at his hands, playing with his fingers. He rolls his lips almost like he is unsure of how to answer the question.

"That is a complicated question, JiMin." He says softly. "It depends on which age you would like to know. My real age, my physical age, or my activation age." I stare at him, having no idea what he is talking about. He seems to catch on, shaking his head and continuing.