Chapter 27: Hangout Day

Start from the beginning

"Okay then. Let's go and have fun. I'm going to take you downtown. I swear it's the coolest place ever. Well here in Sacramento. In my opinion, anyway."

"It's okay, Landon. I'm sure it's going to be fun."

"Come on." Landon stood up and told her to follow him inside the house. He bumped into his mom. "Mom?" he asked.

"Yes, sweetie?" she said.

"We're going to go downtown today. We're going to take the light rail."

"Landon, I don't think that's a good idea."

"Mom. Come on. I promised this to her. The least I could do is keep my promises, don't you think?"

Laura sighed, knowing that Landon was absolutely right. She then turned to Lauren and spoke to her, "Lauren, will you please take care of him while you're there?"

"Of course, Laura. I won't let anything happen to him. Don't you worry."

"Okay then." She turned back to Landon. "You guys can go. But don't be back too late; do you understand?"

"Yes ma'am." Lauren and Landon answered simultaneously.

Lauren and Landon walked out of the house and they walked all the way to the light rail station. The ticket cost two dollars and fifty cents. They each paid that amount and then they went to sit down to wait for the next light rail train. It came a few minutes later. Landon was led by Lauren. She was telling him where there was a step and when to lift his leg up. Remembering what Landon had told her about the direction the train was going, Lauren sat in the seats that were facing away from the door that they had entered.

"What now?" she asked.

"We wait. There are multiple stops the bus has to make, since it is a public form of transportation. It takes a few minutes for us to actually get downtown, but don't worry. It'll all be fine." he responded.

"I'm not worried when I'm with you." Lauren gasped at the words that she had said. What the hell did I just say? she thought.

Landon didn't seem to overthink the words that had been said and instead he asked, "Really?"

Lauren nodded. "Yeah. It makes me feel safe that you're here."

The smile that crossed his face was amazingly bright. It melted Lauren's heart. And it also made her happy that the smile that was now plastered on his face was because of her.

"Okay. That's definitely a good thing." he said.

"You say it like it doesn't happen at all." she observed.

He turned his head towards the sound of Lauren's voice. "It doesn't happen at all."

"Oh." was all that came out as a response. It was incredible what one person with a 'disability' for lack of a better word, had to go through.

"I don't understand why." she added.

Landon gave a small, sad smile. It broke Lauren's heart. "Well, I don't blame them. Someone has to see to keep someone safe from danger."

Lauren shook her head, forgetting that Landon couldn't see her. "But you have to rely on instinct as well. And your other senses are really good. That's enough to keep someone safe. And besides you workout with your uncle, so I'm sure that helps."

"I wish a lot more people thought like you."

Her heart broke as she heard him say those words. She wanted desperately to let him know how amazing he was and that if other people didn't see that, then they were missing out on something great. But as much as she tried to tell that, he never believed her.