7

Thanksgiving break was only around the corner, and I was so nervous to see Michael walking around campus just because of how badly our relationship had ended. I had a week to figure out how I was going to avoid him.

Or at least, I thought I had a week.

I was walking to my dorm after volleyball practice when I bumped into Calum, who's facial expression immediately changed once he saw me.

"Hey!" he scratched the back of his head awkwardly, "Um, what are you, what are you doing here?" He gave me a forced smile and that was when I knew something was up. Whenever he was nervous or hiding something, he always gave me that smile and did that awkward head scratch.

I frowned, "Okay, what is it this time?"

He shook his head quickly, "What? What are you talking about? I'm fine Rose, everything is completely fine. How was practice? You're wearing your volleyball shirt so I assume you just came from practice. You know, I thought you couldn't go to volleyball because of your concussion?"

"Calum," I crossed my arms, "The concussion happened almost a month ago, I'm fine now and able to practice. Why are you acting so weird?"

"Weird? I'm not acting weird! You're acting weird!" he pointed his finger at me. I frowned and looked around me.

"Are you on drugs?"  I whispered. He looked offended and I shrugged, "I'm just asking! You're acting like you just snorted two lines of cocaine or something."

"I've never even done cocaine," he rolled his eyes, obviously not happy that I would dare to ask him something like that.

"College is when people usually try new things," I shrugged, making Calum roll his eyes at me again. "I was just wondering."

"Well it was good seeing you!" he started to walk away from me, but I grabbed his arm before he could run.

"Calum," I said, my voice full of seriousness, "Why are you acting like that?"

Then it happened, I heard a voice that I thought I would never hear again for as long as I lived. I was to afraid to turn around, I was stuck in the position I was standing in. I didn't want to let go of Calum's arm because then I would turn around. His eyes widened and he stared down at me, and back up at the person calling his name.

"Rose.." Calum trailed off. I loosened my grip on his arm and then slowly turned around, my shoes making a squeaky noise as I did.

Michael walked towards us, but stopped once he got close enough to recognize my face. My phone was ringing, but I couldn't bring myself to stop it. I was literally frozen and I felt so stupid for letting someone have that much of an impact on me, but I couldn't help it.

"Rose," Michael said my name, which sounded like music to my ears literally.

"Michael," I greeted him, my voice quiet. I looked behind Michael and saw my roommate coming my way. I really hoped that she wouldn't flirt with Michael because for one, she had no idea that he was my ex-boyfriend, and two, she flirted with everyone.

Payton smiled at me, "I'm going to the vending machine downstairs and then I'm just gonna take a walk, do you wanna come?"

I couldn't answer, so I only shook my head slowly and she gave me a small smile. She greeted Calum and then frowned when she saw Michael, "Have you always went here?"

"He doesn't um, study here," Calum answered her, scratching the back of his neck like he always did when he was nervous, "He's one of my old friends, he's just visiting."