Chapter 9

Chapter 9

I opened the envelope and inside was an invitation to a Habitat for Humanity© Campus Chapter at Northwestern University.

“Oh, my God.”

I couldn’t believe it! I couldn’t keep the grin of my face; I was too happy! A Habitat for Humanity project! Who would give this to me?

Jeremy? It had to be him. He’s the only one who did a project and I got upset about it.

But what if he means the sss message? I frowned at the thought.

Great. First, I think its Ian. I’m almost sure it is. And now this. And there’s still Ben.

I looked back at the invitation in my hand. Would it be heartless if I just ignore Jeremy? I wasn’t actually scared of his reaction. I was more worried that, if he was sss, and because I don’t have any romantic feelings toward him, he might want to take back the present.

I sighed, frustrated. I knew I wouldn’t be able to avoid him. My conscience would not let me enjoy this gift. And I basically see him all day in school. He would be practically impossible to avoid.

I put the envelope in my purse and walked out of the room.

Friday is going to be a long day.

“Attention, volunteers! Please, I need everyone to concentrate,” said Jeremy. He was standing on a table, in the middle of the cafeteria, where most of the booths for the event were set up.

It was Friday. Winder Wonderland was about to start and I was still thinking about the last stupid message I had received.

I bet it was Jeremy, I thought to myself, bitterly. He was trying to distract me.

I narrowed my eyes at him as he talked.

“Everyone, please stay at your stations. We will have the same rules applied for the fundraiser we had two weeks ago. If anyone needs anything, please contact us via our Walkie-Talkie’s. Each of you should have a list of the station numbers everyone was assigned to. Okay, stations people!”

As the volunteers and Student Government Officers and Representatives prepared themselves for the event, I walked over to Jeremy as he jumped off the table.

I took a deep breath. Hear I go.

“Hey, Jeremy. Can I talk to you for a second?”

He looks up at me from the papers in front of him. “Sure, Sam.”

I signaled him to follow me out of the cafeteria.

I led him out the doors and to a secluded hallway to the right of the cafeteria entrance doors.

I faced him with an emotionless face, and took out the envelope.

“Did you give me this?”

“Um,” his face turned red, and rubbed his neck. “Yeah, I did.”

I waited for him to go on and give me some explaination. He just stood there, silent and nervous-looking.

I huffed. “Why?” I crossed my arms.

“Well,” he hesitated then rushed his words. “I was trying to be nice and stuff and I knew you wanted to go. I already went, so I gave them to you. And, yeah…” He met my eyes when he finished talking.

I stood there silently, looking at him. I contemplated my next words and hoped I was doing the right thing.

“I need you to answer me honestly, please.” I took a deep breath and continued, “ I don’t want to sound snobby or anything, but do you have…feelings for me?” I cringed after I spoke, already expecting the worst.

He looked stunned. “What? No! Not you!” He waved his hands, animatedly, in front of me.

I let out a sigh. “Really?” I asked, relieved.  

He nodded his head vigorously. “Yeah. I don’t have those feelings for you.”

Thank God. I let my body relax from the tense position I had kept myself in.

“Ok. Thanks. Sorry if made you feel uncomfortable.” I smiled at him sheepishly.

 “No, you didn’t. I’m good. Although, you didn’t have to sound too relieved.” He gave me a small smile.

I chuckled. Looks like things were back to normal.

“So, are you keeping it?”

I was too scared to ask him, but it would be impolite not to. I mean I did just bluntly ask him if he liked me. “Can I?”

“Of course! I gave them to you.” His smile turning into a smirk.

I withheld my sarcastic comment, and smiled. It was a little strained, but a smile nonetheless.  

“You did. Well, thank you so much, Jeremy.”

 “No problem. Don’t give me a bad name when you go!”

My smile fell. “Let’s just get to work.”

He laughed and started walking to the cafeteria doors, me sulking behind him.

I wonder what he meant by “Not you.”