Chapter 4

The rest of the day passed in a blur. I thought about the message over and over again. I was lost in thought, I almost forgot about the SG meeting. I checked my watch. I had ten minutes. I dumped my books in my car and ran to the meeting room. I got there with two minutes to spare.

I nodded to Jeremy and sat by him.

I checked my watch and saw it was time to start.

“The meeting has started,” I said. “We have a few things to talk about. First is the Big Fundraising Event. Jeremy?”

He stood up and passed out a packet, then stood behind his chair.

“Okay, everyone, the event is tomorrow. We want it to be good and organized. The school administrators gave us permission to come to school at 7am for set-up and excused us from our classes. The event will start at 10:30 am, sharp. The papers I just passed out have all the information you need: schedule of everyone working, location of booths, and where the supplies are located. Sam and I will be checking up on the stations, but since we’re also part of yearbook, we will be taking pictures. There will be bags for the tickets at every station. If you guys need anything, we will have Walkie-Talkies at every station, as well. Do not move the Walkie-Talkie’s as you shift stations and please don’t lose them. Sam and I will each have one, as well. Are there any questions?”

As Jeremy was answering questions, I drifted back to my thoughts on the message and the sender. I looked around me. Each one of these guys has my email. It can be any one of them. No one was paying any extra attention to me. Even in classes, I saw myself evaluating everyone around me. This is so frustrating.

“Sam?”

Jeremy was looking at me.

“Sorry, Jeremy. What did you say?”

Everyone snickered.

“Do you have any questions?”

I looked down at the packet, then at him.

“No, I don’t. I think this has all the information I need. This is really great. Thanks, Jeremy.”

He looked pleased. “Thank you, Sam.”

“Anything else you wanted to say?”

“No, nothing else to report.”

“Okay. We need to figure out what to plan for Christmas. Jeremy, when does the break start?”

“Well, finals start the14th and the last day of school for this semester is the 18th.”

“The Mt. Carmel church is organizing an event called ‘Winter Wonderland.’ They asked me if it can be a joint project. They need help with planning and volunteers. So, I told them I’d ask you guys. What do you think, Jeremy?”

“Well, when is it?”

“They’re not sure. But they want to do it the week before Christmas.”

“Well, it seems like a good idea to me. We don’t really have a lot of time to plan a good event for the school. Who will be paying for it?”

“I don’t really know. We can meet with their committee and figure it out. I was thinking we can have it here on Friday. The cafeteria is very spacious. We can probably split the cost, either 50-50 or 60-40, since we will do most of the planning and manpower. But, like I said, I didn’t even accept the offer. I know it’s on such short notice, but it will help us out since we have no clue what we are going to do.”

“Let’s have a vote,” said Jeremy. “Who thinks we should join the church’s event?”

All hands shot up.