Chapter 5

At first, I was nothing less than shocked to find Jared here, but then I saw the other familiar face approaching us from the end of the aisle and it was soon replaced with anger, hurt, and betrayal.

"Hey babe, I-" I blinked and tried to scurry away even though I knew he already saw me. "Sammy!" He exclaimed in fake surprise, "What a surprise! What are you doing here?" A slight smirk and humor added to his menacingly bitter-sweet voice.

He came to a stop next to Jared, wrapping his slim and pale arms around his waist making sure to eye me squarely whilst doing so. Jared had long since let me go after hearing Gabriel's voice and now had his arm around his shoulders, shifting from foot to foot in obvious discomfort and awkwardness.

"Gabriel..." I said slowly, acknowledging his first statement and ignoring the following two questions he posed. I turned around to get back to work, happy to have a distraction and a reason to end what I thought was an already finished conversation.

"So," I heard Gabriel's voice perk up some and I didn't need any other sign for me to know that he clearly was not done talking or bragging for that matter. "J and I's anniversary is this Saturday and we are having a small get-together." He blurted out, making me turn around to gape at his audacity and blatant frowardness. I turned to shoot Jared a, what can only be described as, 'what the hell?' look only to realize that he was already giving the same look to the twink beside him. Unaffected and unperturbed he continued with his ramble, "Well, it's at-"

"Gabe, baby," Jared leaned down and whispered sharply to Gabriel, trying to diffuse the situation quickly, "Don't!"

"What, he should know. It is his rightful role as an ex." He whispered loud on purpose. Then rolled his eyes and swatted away Jared's hand who was trying to pull him away. He continued on, this time motivated to finish what he was saying from before, "So it's this Saturday and if you don't have anything going on, why don't you come with a date; same address, of course."

"I-I," I tried to get my words out but shock, disbelief, and anger kept them in. My voice cracked when I'd tried to again and I had already known that the tears were coming.

For a little bit of context, Jared and I were dating for about a year before I caught him cheating on me with Gabriel- who bragged to me later on that they'd been seeing each other for six months. Ever since I'd caught the two in bed, the same bed that Jared and I shared on occasion since our relationship became official, Gabriel's been making it his mission to brag to me about their 'perfect relationship' through text- I had to get my number changed- or even when we ran into each other on days such as this one. He believes that Jared chose him over me but the way I see it, that cheating bastard was left with him because I dumped him.

So caught up in the head rant I was having with myself that I hadn't even remembered that we were in a public place- a supermarket to be exact- where any and everyone could see and hear us.

"Hey, baby!" It wasn't until I heard that voice did I remember where we were but the anger was still boiling within me and I snapped to the pair to see who spoke. However, when I saw their expressions and then both their eyes widening slightly, I knew it wasn't them. 

Instantly after I'd come to that conclusion I felt a big hand snake around my waist. My blood ran cold as I froze in place, trying not to move in hopes of not angering the owner of that hand, should in case I was being kidnapped. I shifted my eyes to the two, trying to signal them to help me but the words were stuck and their expressions of absolute disbelief and shock did not settle well with me.

Oh God, what's happening...

After a few seconds, the hand gripped me tightly and whipped me around. In that split second, I said a short prayer and squeezed my eyes shut as I anticipated the worst. What I was not expecting was a kiss on my cheek. "What?" I touched the spot, slowly opening my eyes and trying to calm my now racing heart which was beating for an entirely different reason now.