Chapter 2

White Lightning awoke in the early hours of the morning to the sound of wood being scraped on.

The stallion groaned and rolled onto his back, he opened his eyes and looked around.

The sun was just peeking over the distant east mountain range, turning the world into an assortment of red, purple, and yellow. Strong gusts were already starting to pick up.

The stallion sighed to himself and returned his attention to the paddock fence, of which Rain was gnawing on.

He gave her a stern, annoyed look, "Rain....quit that..."

The mare stopped and growled, "You want me to stop? Then get me out of this prison..."

The stallion groaned, "Its not that bad!"

Rain snorted and ignored his statement and laid down in the dirt.

The stallion rolled back onto his stomach and stood up, shaking the dust off of his coat.

He walked down to the river, it had thawed out even more than yesterday, pure, clear water flooded downstream, the sound of rushing water filling his ears.

The stallion smiled and bent his neck down, taking a few long slurps of the cool water.

He looked back up from the river at the sunrise and smiled, he felt happy, and strangely relaxed.

This is quite the place...

The stallion was lost in thought, lost in the beauty of the open, flowing, plains before him.

All he would have to do would be to swim across, and he could run for hours.

The stallion decided he would go and get the others, Horseshoe and that timid dark bay stallion, he couldn't remember his name.

The stallion whinnied and broke into a gallop, heading in the direction he saw the bay stallion walk last night.

The stallion reached the top of the hill and tripped over what he thought was a large boulder, until he heard the boulder yelp.

He found himself stretched across the stomach of another horse, he looked and saw the bay stallion's face, in shock.

Shadow looked at the gray stallion, his heart started pumping harder than he thought it could.

The other stallion stood up quickly and gave him an embarrassed look, "Heh...sorry..um..."

The stallion, still shocked, felt a burning heat in his cheeks as the gray stallion stood up.

The stallion snapped out of his trance, "Its Shadow, my name, its Shadow."

White Lightning nodded, "Ahhh, okay, couldn't remember it."

The stallion laughed nervously and rolled onto his stomach, standing up, his blush seemed to worsen.

The stallion looked at the other, his blue eyes glowed in the morning sunlight, making his heart rush even faster than before, he looked away and it slowed.

"S-so...? What'd you come over h-here f-for...?" The stallion asked nervously.

White Lightning smirked, "Well, I was wondering if you and Horseshoe wanted to go for a run in the meadow across the river." He gave Shadow a smile.

The stallion's blush finally subsided, "Sure! I suppose you want me to go get him?"

The other stallion nodded.

The stallion quickly turned and flat out ran away from White Lightning, he wanted away from him, he made him feel, strange, he really couldn't describe why he felt so affectionate towards him. After all, it'd be weird, he knew he liked the other stallion, but he didn't know why.