Chapter 1

It was a colder, winter night, and just outside of the Indian camp, a young, dark bay, stallion, Shadow, was standing calmly by the slushy river.

The winter months were fading and the ice was beginning to melt, the stallion watched the little streams of water run through the cracked ice, soon, the water would be gushing down the hill, he sighed happily, and looked up at the clouds, the moonlight shone through them, providing just enough light to see the mountains in the distance.

The stallion smiled to himself and turned back towards the camp, where he knew, his friends would be waiting for him, he shook his long, dark mane out and broke into a trot.

He heard a familiar voice to his right, "Shadow! Hey!" The stallion stopped and looked over to his right to see a lighter gray stallion, galloping at him, with a visible smile on his lips,

Shadow grinned, "What's up, Horseshoe?"

The gray stallion slid to a stop before tripping over his own hooves and smacking into a boulder, he yelped out, "Ow! Dammit!"

Shadow giggled to himself, "So, what's up you clumsy doof?" The stallion shook his mane out again.

Horseshoe gathered himself and stood up, "You hear the news? Bout that new paint mare?"

Shadow gave the gray stallion a confused look, with one eyebrow raised, "Paint? Mare? No, can't say I have, why?"

Horseshoe turned to the direction he came, "C'mon, I'll show you, they found her earlier today, just before sundown, Little Creek is claiming her I think."

Shadow followed the gray stallion, a cool breeze flowed through the wheat like grass, every so often, a small snowflake flew past his face, while engrossed in following the stallion, he caught a glimpse of another, light gray stallion, with a dark, flowing mane, and a light blue circle around his right eye.

Horseshoe broke the silence, "She's just up here." The stallion said with enthusiasm as he passed one of the tents.

Shadow turned his attention back to the strange stallion he had seen, he now had a better view of him.

He was quite muscular, the stallion hadn't realized he stopped to stare at this gorgeous, gray, stallion.

The stallion was facing away from him, grazing and talking to one of the other horses, of which he didn't know.

Horseshoe's face broke his stare, "Shadow? You okay buddy?"

The stallion shook his head, "W-what? Yeah, I'm fine, why?"

Horseshoe backed up a bit, "Well, you were staring over there for about five minutes...you weren't answering me..."

The stallion felt a blush form on his cheeks, "S-sorry, just tired I guess.." Although, the stallion had no idea what he was really feeling.

What the hell is up with me?

The stallion thought to himself, then shook himself out of it, "Anyway, the paint mare?"

Horseshoe perked up again, "This'away cap'n!" The stallion trotted happily forward.

Shadow followed reluctantly, trying to keep his mind off of who he had seen.

The stallion snapped out of it.

Look at yourself, making a big deal of nothing, he's probably just a wanderer, get over it.

The stallion smirked and scoffed, now more confident, he followed Horseshoe, eager to see this new mare.

They reached the small paddock, the paint mare was racing around the inside, trying her best to stay away from Little Creek.

Shadow couldn't help but giggle as he watched him struggle to get close to her, every time, she outsmarted him.

Horseshoe bumped the stallion's side, "Cute ain't she?"

Shadow nodded subconsciously, "Yeah..."

The gray stallion rolled his eyes and continued to watch Little Creek fail, over and over again, to catch this stubborn mare.

Shadow shifted his weight to the other side of his body, he heard a sudden voice, startling him.

"Rain! Just let the poor guy get a hold of you, he doesn't bite!"

The dark bay stallion turned to see who the voice belonged to, his heart suddenly started pounding as he saw, the light gray stallion with the blue circle on his eye.

He tried to get rid of the awkwardness of the situation, "R-rain...?"

The light gray stallion nodded at him, "Yep, that's her name."

Shadow nodded and smiled, he felt heat in his cheeks, he looked away quickly, hoping that his blush didn't show much.

Suddenly, the mare spoke up, "I don't trust him, White... He's gonna trap us just like those other two-leggers did to Raver..."

The light gray stallion replied, "Oh come on, Raver was stupid as it is, and this guy is actually trying to help you!"

Shadow was confused a little, who were these horses? Where had they come from? And why couldn't he shake this strange feeling?

Little Creek finally got a hold of Rain's mane, quickly putting a rope around her neck, "Gotcha!"

The mare snorted angrily and nipped at him, he tied her to one of the posts and got up on her back.

The dark bay stallion jumped slightly as the mare went ballistic, running crazily around the paddock, kicking and crow hopping.

He kept his purple eyes on her light blue ones, giggling loudly.

Sure is a feisty one...

The light gray stallion groaned, "Rain! Just...oh God, just let him ride you!"

Little Creek clearly was having trouble staying on her, jerking to and fro.

The mare finally snorted and gave up, Little Creek patted her neck and got off, leaving her in the paddock, "Behave now, Rain."

The mare glared at him as he walked over to the light gray stallion with the blue circle, "Make sure she stays, White Lightning." The stallion nodded.

White Lightning...

Shadow looked back over to him, his blue eyes sparkled in the moonlight, the stallion's heartbeat shot up again, he panicked and looked away as the other stallion glanced in his direction.

Horseshoe broke the silence as he yawned, "Alright, I'm heading off to sleep, you guys have a good night."

The stallion walked off, leaving the two stallions alone, other than Rain.

Shadow immediately felt his blush come back.

White Lightning looked over to him, "Say, what's your name?"

The stallion felt his blush rise even more, "Sh-shadow..."

The other stallion nodded and smiled, "I'm White Lightning."

Shadow nodded, "Its a pleasure to meet you." His eyes still locked on the ground.

White Lightning shrugged and laid down next to the fence, closing his eyes.

Shadow broke the silence, "W-well, I'm going to head off as well..."

White Lightning nodded, "M'kay, goodnight, Shadow."

The stallion turned and trotted quickly away, "Night!"

He felt awkward, something was off, he couldn't put his hoof on it though.

The stallion sighed and came to a small hill, he laid down and shut his eyes, he again tried to convince himself that he was just feeling anxious, but he knew, that wasn't it...