Epilogue Part 1

The end is nigh.  And I don’t mean because there’s sixty-nine days until December 21, 2012.  I don’t think that’s going to happen.  I think the Mayans either had a sense of humor or the Spanish got to them before they could finish the calendar.  It’s one of those two… possible both… I’m rambling.  Ignore all of that.  Hope you are enjoying the story!

Quote of the Chapter:

“I believe that everything happens for a reason. People change so you can learn to let go. Things go wrong so you can appreciate them when they’re right. You believe lies so you eventually learn to trust no one but yourself. And sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.”

~ Marilyn Monroe

_______________________________________________

Epilogue Part One

Chopper

I woke up without opening my eyes.  I was in that state where you’re borderline awake and borderline asleep at the same time.  What happens is up to you.  The place was dark and I immediately snapped my eyes open, fearing I would be back in that hellhole entrapped by the Belkans.  Relief surged through me when I recognized the room as that of one of Versailles’s.  I let out a sigh before I realized my arm was wrapped protectively around someone’s waist.  My stomach somersaulted, wondering who it was because for a brief moment, I thought I was sleeping with someone other than Blaze.  However, then the memory of last night came rushing back and for the second time in less than two minutes, relief flooded through me.

Blaze was curled up in a ball, but she was pressed against me as much as physically possible.  Her blonde hair was contained by her sleeping on it.  Her cheek was red and I realized I must’ve been sleeping on it.  Blaze’s arms were pulled up to her chest as if she was cold.  I couldn’t blame her.  The air conditioner had kicked on and we had, in the middle of the night, kicked off all the blankets.  Carefully, I used my legs to shift the blanket up high enough for me to reach it so I could cover us up.  Thank god Blaze was a heavy sleeper because I was neither the quietest nor the stealthiest at shifting the blanket up.  Somehow, I managed it and we ended up well covered by the blanket.

Sleepiness suddenly hit me again and I felt like I couldn’t keep my eyes open any longer.  I rested my head on Blaze’s cheek and fell back asleep.

I woke up again to the high-pitched ringing of the room’s phone.  I was now on my back with Blaze resting her head on my chest.  Her arms were still pulled up tightly to her chest though.  How on earth was she sleeping through that blasted ringing?  With a groan, I picked up the phone. “Hello?”

“Chopper?  What are you doing in- wait, does she know?” Grimm’s voice inquired hesitantly.

“Yeah, she knows I’m alive,” I said quietly, looking down unconsciously at her. “Wasn’t the happiest of greetings at first but that’s a story for another time.”

“Well when you two stop doing the unspeakable things-”

“We haven’t done anything!” I snapped, more loudly than I intended.  Blaze stirred slightly.  So my voice could wake her up but the telephone ring from hell couldn’t?  Of course, because that just makes so much sense…

“Uh huh,” Grimm said drolly. “Listen, keep her occupied today.  Don’t let her come into the dining room.”

“Grimm, this is Blaze we’re talking about.  She does what she wants,” I pointed out bluntly. “Y’all couldn’t keep her from sneaking out of my parents’ home and coming here.  How on earth do y’all think she’s going to listen to me?”