Chapter Six

The morning came far too quickly for Lainathion. He had tried to keep his eyes open, but weariness soon overtook him, and he fell into a deep sleep. Waking up by the sunlight that poured into the room, Lainathion still felt exhausted from the night before. But he shook off these feelings best he could, and struggled to stand up. By now, he had accepted the pain in his ribs and knew it would not go away without help. After rubbing the sleep from his eyes, he suddenly remember his search. I suppose I can't put it off any longer. He picked up the knife he had found the night before, and started his descent up the stairs once again.

There was nothing significant in the first two rooms. Same as the night before, they were empty. Lainathion checked far more thoroughly than he had the previous night, until he was sure nothing could escape his detection.

He entered the third room quickly. He felt exceedingly more confident in the daylight, and with the protection of the knife, he felt ready for whatever might came at him. He first checked behind the door, to be sure nothing was hiding behind, ready to spring out at him. He leaned down to check under the bed as he had done in the last two rooms, and still found nothing. Subconsciously, he thought perhaps whatever had been hiding up here had escaped through a window, or left when he was asleep. He picked up his pace, and stepped up to the wardrobe. Reaching out and flinging the doors opened, he gasped and flinched in fear when he saw something move inside. He stepped back and held his knife up in defence. Only then did he realize that the thing inside meant him no harm. In the corner of the wardrobe, sat a small woman; huddled up in a cloak. She cried quietly and hid her face when she saw Lainathion. Lainathion sighed in relief, and tossed the knife to the side. He walked over, and kneeled beside the wardrobe.

"I'm here to help you," Lainathion spoke gently to her, but the woman cringed away at the sound of his voice. He spoke again. "Please, I want to help. I was traveling from my home in Starlight Vale, I did not expect to find the village in this condition. I heard noises up here last night, so I was searching to find what made them. I have to admit, you startled me." He laughed softly.

The woman finally raised her head, convinced that his story was true. Her old, wrinkled face was streaked with dust and tears. Lainathion pitied her, and held out his hand to help her up. He led her to the nearby bed. After they sat down, he spoke again.

"I am Lainathion."

"I am Evelynne."

Lainathion shook her outstretched hand in greeting. "What happened here?"

"Raiders. Two nights ago, they attacked us. Some fled, most were taken. My daughter hid me, I was too afraid to come out even after they had gone. Then I heard you, I was sure it was another raider coming to plunder what possessions we had left." Evelynne spoke slowly and shakily as she recounted the tale.

Lainathion listened intently, then frowned. "Taken?" He asked.

Evelynne nodded.

"How is that possible? They couldn't carry off the inhabitants of an entire village."

"They did. Only several were killed, the rest were captured, along with the livestock, dragons, and possessions."

"But how did they do it?" Asked Lainathion in disbelief. "They only had enough horses for themselves, even with the horses of the villager's, they could have carried off only a few people. If they took the supplies as well, I don't understand how they could have carried off the inhabitants of an entire village."

Evelynne nodded. "I don't understand, either. But we heard a noise. Much like the rushing of a fierce wind, or pounding of waves against a rocky shore."

Dread filled Lainathion's heart as he listened to her description of the attack. He took a deep breath.

"Did it sound like the beating of a dragon's wings?" He asked solemnly.

The woman gasped slightly as she considered this. Lainathion spoke again.

"I have never seen nor heard a dragon fly. Every dragon I have seen has been chained so flight is impossible. But you must have been here before the practice of enslaving dragons, you must have seen them in their full majesty."

The old woman closed her eyes, remembering the years long past. She nodded slowly. "Yes. When I was very young, I saw many dragons. I saw the dignity of these beautiful and wicked creatures, and heard the pounding of their mighty wings as they glided freely in the open air..."

Lainathion held his breath, thinking upon how beautiful the creatures must have been in their full glory. Evelynne looked at his enchanted face.

"The wings of the dragons may be ascending once again." 

Thanks for reading! Don't forget to comment & vote if you enjoyed this chapter!