Chapter Three

Lainathion staring at the ceiling from where he lay. He sighed in frustration. No matter how hard he tried, he could not forget the shame of being humiliated in front of the Elven lord. Even more than that, he could not get the dragons off his mind. He closed his eyes and tried to concentrate on something else. Hearing the soft footsteps of someone approaching the room, he scrambled off the agreeable bed. A shadowy figure stood facing him at the doorway. The figure hesitated, before slowly backing out of the room. Lainathion frowned. Suddenly realizing the figure had not perceived him in the dim light of the room, he stayed silent. Finally the lofty figure turned and strided out of the room. Lainathion smiled slightly and returned to his resting spot. He did not feel sociable at this time of night, or in this downcast spirit. He closed his eyes and tried to make sense of all that had happened. Not having any success, he stood up. Walking to a small window above a homely armchair, he sat down and opened the window. The room was filled with a chilly breeze as the night air drifted in. Lainathion looked out at the dark night sky. He smiled as he marveled at the stars. Sitting quietly for several more minutes, he remained deep in thought. He stood up suddenly. "If none are willing to take this matter into their own hands, than I shall!" He quietly said aloud. With a small smile of determination, he quickly and silently filled a small bag with provisions for the journey he was planning. Throwing a light cloak over his garments, he slipped the pack over his shoulder and walked quietly to the door. Peaking around the corner, he checked to be sure nobody was nearby, before he silently walked down the large hallway, and to a small door. He slipped outside quickly and closed the door as quietly as he could manage. Swifty walking through the chilly night, he approached a large stable that housed many Elven horses. After selecting a young steed, he led him to the large gates that were securely fastened for the night to protect the Elven people as they rested. Unlatching the heavy doors as quietly as possible, it seemed to Lainathion that every noise was deafening and the entire valley would be aroused. He finally succeeded in opened them and slipped past with his steed. Shutting the gates firmly behind him, he sighed him relief and smiled. Quickly mounting his horse, he cantered off into the night.

After a long night's ride, Lainathion arrived at the small Village of Thanioth, where he and his father had visited only days before. The village appeared calm and restful, it seemed as though no one had arisen yet. Lainathion looked at the pale sky and sighed. It was still before dawn, and he should have realized not many would be up by this time. He quickly dismounted his horse and strolled to a nearby stable that was open for general use. The stable was quiet and peaceful. After securing his steed, he started to walk out. Pausing suddenly, he turned around. He stood silently for a moment, looking both to his left and right. Walking back through the large stable, he looked in each stall. The stable was completely uninhabited. Lainathion frowned. Only days before, the stable was bustling with excitement. Lainathion paused in concern, then sighed and walked out. The sun was slowly starting to rise as Lainathion made his way down the wide path that led to the village's small inn. As he approached the inn's old door that swung loosely from several rusty hinges, he stopped abruptly again with a strong feeling of discomfort. A sudden unease spread over him as he stood alone in the street of the completely silent village. He took a deep breath and tried to calm his worried and doubtful mind as he pushed open the door and started inside. The inn seemed as uninhabited and lifeless as the rest of the village. Lainathion looked around with a sense of dread flooding into his heart as he quickly ran up the stairs and searched the rooms. He was alarmed but unsurprised they were empty. Lainathion took a deep breath and wondered what to do. After contemplating only a moment, he fled back down the stairs and into the deserted streets. 

Raider pillagings were not uncommon in the villages of men, and Lainathion suspected that was the reason for the abnormal silence of the normally busy village. Enemies could easily slip unobserved into the smaller villages and kill off the inhabitants, as well as the livestock, dragons, and provisions. Lainathion reached up and brushed his long hair from his face as he tried to calm himself and clear his mind. A loud noise from behind him made him jump and whirl around suddenly to defend himself. Although he saw no sign of life or movement, he remained wary. 

Quickly reaching into his cloak, he stealthily pulled out a small knife. Holding it behind his back, he walked cautiously to where the noise came from. Pearing through the open door of a dingy shop, he still saw nothing, but still felt strangely tense and uneasy. Slowly walking into the deserted shop, he kept a tight grip on his knife as he remained alert and reading to defend himself. All seemed quiet, but Lainathion knew the attacker would not be standing in plain sight, so he kept his guard up as he headed towards a small room in the back. Suddenly, Lainathion was knocked hard to the ground. He groaned as he tried to pull himself up but stumbled back to the ground- his head pounding from the impact and a searing pain in his ribs. Although his head felt heavy and dazed, Lainathion knew he had to defend himself. Rolling over and thrusting his knife into the air, he squinted as he looked for his attacker. To his disbelief, no one was there. The room appeared as quiet and undisturbed as before. Lainathion tried to stand again but staggered and fell. Clutching his burning ribs, he groggily looked down at the ground and noticed a small puddle of blood forming. He vaguely wondered who had been injured, before slowly realizing it was dripping from his own face. Groaning, he pulled himself up again and managed to stumble forward several steps, before finally passing out.

Thanks for reading! Don't forget to comment & vote if you enjoyed this chapter!