Chapter Two

Lainathion hurried across the Elven Kingdom. Scarcely aware of the cheerful bustle around him, he set his eyes on the task at hand. Presently he arrived at a large and elegant palace. Guarded by many Elven soldiers, Lainathion looked with awe upon the wondrous structure that the Elven lord, Caunion, dwelled in. Although Caunion was only lord of the kingdom, Lainathion felt certain he would uncover the answers he was seeking.

Approaching a heavy door at the front of the palace, Lainathion slowly came to a halt. Two tall Elven guards clad in shining armor stood straight and expressionless at the entrance. Lainathion paused, momentarily unsure of how to address them. He took a deep breath and started forward. 

"Request for consent to see the lord, if you please." He said with assurance. 

The Elven guards remained unmoving from their position. "State your business with the lord." One of them replied shortly. 

"I am here to discuss a matter of considerable importance with our lord, it will take but a moment of his time." Lainathion replied in a noticeably superior tone. The guards appeared satisfied with this answer and turned to unbar the great wooden doors.

Escorting Lainathion to a large and remote room, they bolted the doors securely behind him. Lainathion slowly paced the floor and looked around, unsure of what to do. The only sound in the room was the soft tapping of his leather boots on the floor and the rustling of his cloak as he walked. A few moments later, a narrow door opened and lord Caunion promptly strode into the room, accompanied by several guards. The Elven lord was of a placid nature, even-tempered and not excitable. His face was solemn and dignified, neither young nor old. He was clothed in elegant robes that draped to the floor. Upon his head was a shining circlet made of ancient gems discovered in the deep holds of the earth. Lainathion looked down at his simple Elven cloak. A sense of shame flooded over him as he stood quietly. An uncomfortable silence filled the room. Lainathion wondered what the lord was waiting for, then suddenly became aware that he had not made a formal introduction. Bowing, he tried to speak in a confident voice. 

"My lord, I am Lainathion, son of Vehiron. I have come to speak with you of a matter that lays heavy on my mind." Lainathion listened to his voice echo through the large room. 

Caunion took his time answering. Dismissing his guards, he turned back to Lainathion. Striding past him to a small table, he pouring a drink and held a cup out to the young Elf. Lainathion reached out and grasped the small teacup, but felt too tense to drink. Caunion took a seat and gestured for Lainathion to do the same. Lainathion numbly followed. Finally, Caunion spoke. 

"Please enlighten us of this matter that has succeeded in unsettling you." Caunion's face was grim but a faint twinkle in his dark eyes made Lainathion realize he was humouring him. Feeling a bit more at ease, Lainathion took a seat next to the lord and set his cup down. 

"My lord," He began, "I am sure you are already aware of the practice of enslavement of the dragons in the villages of men." 

Caunion listened intently as Lainathion spoke. 

Lainathion continued. "Would it be possible to earn the trust of a dragon? Not by forcing him to abide by chaining him, but to earn his entire trust with much work and devoutness?" 

Caunion gazed at Lainathion long and hard with penetrating eyes. He finally answered slowly and decisively. "I do not believe there is a conceivable way to earn the trust of a dragon. Dragons are wicket, savage beasts and even attempting to befriend one would be the death of you." 

Lainathion answered him quickly; "If they are indeed impossible to tame, as you say, than why is there an intricate portrayal of a man domesticating one of these beasts on the ancient table carved by the great Elven elders?" 

Caunion paused, momentarily unsure of how to respond to this unforeseen account. Another sullen silence entered the room as Caunion pondered this. Lainathion sat silently, anxiously anticipating the lord's response. Finally, Caunion answered. "If you please, take me to see this carving." Caunion had expressed it as a request, but Lainathion knew it was an order.

Quickly obliging the Elven lord, Lainathion escorting him to the room in which the table was in. Quickly walking to the spot he had sat, he scanned the table with keen eyes in search of the carving. Not locating it, he glanced at Caunion. Caunion's eyes were fixed to the table, attempting to find the carving as well.  Lainathion looked down again- becoming more distraught with every passing moment. Eventually, Caunion stepped back. Lainathion turned to face him. 

"It does not appear to be found." 

Caunion contemplated. 

Lainathion took a deep breath. "My lord," He said assuredly, "It was indeed here. Perhaps we overlooked it." 

Caunion looked at Lainathion with a doubtful expression. 

Lainathion turned back and once again attempted to find the carving he was sure he had seen. Caunion watched for a moment, then slowly made his way out of the room. Lainathion hung his head. Staring at the hundreds of carving on the emmance table, he was positive this was the place he had noticed it. Standing silently in the empty room, he searched fervently one last time. He finally walked despairingly out of the room and shut the door firmly behind him.

Thanks for reading! Don't forget to comment & vote if you enjoyed this chapter!