Dates and Promises

One day during one of Squad 8's training sessions, Tatsu and Hinata were watching Shino and Kiba practice.

"Hey, Tatsu," said Hinata.

"Yah?" said Tatsu.

"You know, I think I know what would help you smile."

"Oh, really?" said Tatsu not believing she knows not what would really make her smile.

"Maybe you should go on a date," said Hinata.

"A WHAT?!"

"Maybe you should ask Kiba?"

Tatsu turned a bright red, with mixed emotions of anger and embarrassment.

"Well, I don't see you asking Naruto out ever!"

Hinata chuckles, "Guess that's true, but I know you like him."

Tatsu then saw Kiba and Shino staring at them confused.

"I'm going to go train," said Tatsu trying to avoid the conversation.

Before Tatsu left she noticed Naruto coming this way.

"Hey Kiba, Shino! I want in too!" said Naruto.

"Oh...Hi..Naruto," said Hinata, but Naruto just passed by not noticing Hinata.

"Come on Hinata," thought Tatsu.

When Naruto had almost reached Kiba and Shino, Tatsu had grabbed the back of his jacket.

"Hey, let me go Tatsu! I want to practice with Kiba and Shino!" said Naruto.

"Huh! So now you remember my name."

Tatsu had placed Naruto in front of Hinata and whispered in his ear, "Hinata was talking to you and you completely ignored her. So unless you want to see my bad side, you will talk with her."

Naruto gulped and said, "Ok sure."

Tatsu then left leaving Naruto and Hinata alone

"Hinata owes me big time," thought Tatsu as she darted away, "But I hope she understands that I can't go on a date. If he saw me on a date then the boy would die. Just like anyone who gets close to me."

She stopped at a cliffside that had an overview of the village and there was a small breeze that blew threw her hair. This was one of Tatsu favorite spots, not many people came here, so she could be alone. However her silence was broken by a familiar bark. Tatsu turned around to see Akamaru and Kiba watching her.

"Hey, what you doing out here?" Kiba asked as he went to stand next to her.

"I...I was just...thinking," said Tatsu still startled that she was followed.

"About the Chunin Exams?"

"No, I'm thinking about..." Tatsu stopped herself from almost telling him about her past.

"Dang it Kiba! Why do you have to be so easy to talk to! He makes me feel like I could tell him anything."

Seeing her hesitance Kiba changed the subject, "You know this spot is the best in the whole village. I see you here a lot, so you must think the same."

"So why are you here Kiba?"

"I was just seeing if you were ok," said Kiba looking at the view, "Hey I got an idea, why don't you and I go a few rounds."

"What?"

"Come on Tatsu, when was the last time we trained together? I want to see if your ready for the exams."

"Ok, but I won't go easy on you," said Tatsu.

The two of them went many rounds, not noticing the sun setting making the sky orange. Then Tatsu had charged for Kiba and the two of them tumbled to the ground, with Kiba on top of Tatsu. Kiba laughed then lightly kissed Tatsu on the cheek. Startled Tatsu pushed Kiba off of her.

"Tatsu, I'm sorry," said Kiba startled by her reaction, "I didn't mean to. I don't know what I was thinking."

"It's...ok Kiba," said Tatsu turning away from him to stare at the view of the village, "It's just when people get close to me...It doesn't usually end well for them. Listen you must promise me something."

"What?"

"You must never say a word of this to anyone, because...because," said Tatsu starting to tear.

Kiba moved next to her then Tatsu continued, "Because I don't want you to get hurt."

"I promise," said Kiba as he held Tatsu to his chest, "I'm sorry."

The two of them stared at the scenery until nightfall.