Chapter Sixteen: More Like Baby Steps

Start from the beginning

"Around back." He says with a hint of amusement in his voice.

I give him a quick smile, shaking my head and try to walk calmly to the back. When I'm out of his site, I leap into the bathroom and lock door and then I fall back with a loud thump.

"Uhmph," I groan and curse under my breath sharply as I see my clothes gone and replaced by my tail. "You've got to be kidding me." I whisper as I place my elbows on the floor. I push myself to see if the door is locked securely. If Mr. Lancaster sees me, well, I rather not know.

"Gabriela, are you alright?" I hear him right outside the door and I freeze.

He knocks when I don't answer and I'm holding my breath as I try to find the right words.

"Uh...yeah, I'm good. It's just that I'm...not feeling to well. Do you think could you get me some clothes from the general store, please?" I call out and cringe at how nervous and uneasy my voice sounds.

"Alright, I'll run into town to get you something. Will you be alright by yourself?"

"Yes. I'll be okay, just please hurry."

"Okay, I'll be back soon." He tells me.

When I hear his heavy footsteps leave the boat, I relax by plopping back onto the floor. Alright, planning time. Plan A involves me waiting it out until I dry up, but then I'll be lying stark naked in an old man's boat. Plan B involves me sneaking out the window for everyone to see, and that's going to take forever.

"Shit." I realize I left my bag outside and I curse again.

Plan B it is. I start dragging myself on my hands and elbows across the floor until I reach the toilet. I gag and place my hands on the seat and push myself up to see out the window. I push it open and stick my hand out to feel the warmth of today's weather. I stick my head out and look down to see I have to crawl out of the window and out onto the deck and then slip under the rail and fall into the water. Lovely. I look out towards the boardwalk, and that's when I see my one and only hope. He's doing his morning jog on the side of the pier, but he's listening to music and knowing him, he's probably having it on full volume.

I look around, "Jay!" I cry out but he doesn't hear me. I lick my lips and pull myself out a little more, "Jay!" I shout louder than before and wave my hand hoping he can notice me. He doesn't even turn his head, my anger is bubbling not because he hasn't noticed, but because this is Jay and Jay in general pushes my buttons. "Jay." I scream in a very snappy matter that he slows down his run and takes out his ear buds and looks around with his chest rising up and down. So now he hears me? "Jay." I call out. He turns his head in my direction and his eyebrows furrow together, I wave at him with a distressed look. His face says it all when he takes in my situation and breaks into a run towards the boat. I sigh in relief and relax as I pull my head back inside.

"Gaby." I hear Jay whisper and I poke my head out of the window to come face to face with him in all his sweat and glory. How can he look so good at this time of hour? He sees I'm in my mermaid form and looks around, inside and outside the boat.

"What happened?" he asks and looks behind him.

"Stop doing that! You're freaking me out." I snap, "I was with Lancaster he was asking for help and I couldn't just say no. I got wet and I ran in here and I told him I wasn't feeling well so he went to get me some clothes or something in town. I lost my clothes and left my bag outside." I pout in the end and he once again looks behind him, but now I understand because any minute now Lancaster can come back.

"Gaby, sometimes you are too nice."

"Lancaster is a family friend of my dad's I can't say no."