Chapter Eight

Finn

==Saturday==

"Where are we going?" Angelina asked for the hundredth time.

"You'll see," I kept my eyes on the road, making sure I didn't miss the turn.

I took the right turn, then continued to drive for a few more miles. I glanced at Angelina; it always amazed me that I'd finally met the perfect girl. I remember teasing my friends when they got girlfriends and spent all their time with them. Now I understood.

I parked and got out of my car. Walking around to Angelina's side, I pulled open her door. She was gazing at the view. I'd taken her to my favorite place on Earth.

It was a meadow that seemed to stretch on forever. The tall grass danced with the wind and blotches of color were scattered, showing so many different flowers. The grass was soft--not the poky kind that made me itchy.

"Oh my god--it's gorgeous," she breathed.

I watched her make her way through the dancing colors, then take off at a run toward the horizon. I was so relieved she liked it--this meadow and Angelina were two of the most important things in my life. I took off after her, feeling the grass shifting under my feet and the wind blowing in my face.

I caught up to Angelina in a few minutes and wrapped my arms around her from behind. She leaned into my chest and we both watched the horizon. Birds flew over the setting sun and sang beautiful songs. Dandelion petals swirled around the meadow and took off toward the sunset.

"Do a lot of people know about this place?" she whispered.

"No--I'm guessing only we do. It's always empty when I come."

"You come here often?"

"Recently, yes."

"What do you mean recently?"

I buried my face in her hair, "I come here to think, and I've been thinking about a lot these past weeks."

"Mmm? What about?"

"You usually," I admitted.

I saw her smile and bite her lip to try and wipe it off her face, but was unsuccessful.

"I've been thinking a lot too," she said.

"About?"

"Guess," she murmured.

I grinned and warmth coursed through me. For some reason, it made me happy that I was on her mind 24/7 just like she was on mine. I tightened my grip around her, pulling her closer to me. She sighed and rested her head in the crook of my neck and shoulder.

"You're the only other person who knows about this place."

"I love you," she said softly.

"I love you too," I whispered back, and I meant it.

--------------------

Angelina

My eyes fluttered open and I looked around me. I was curled up in Finn's lap and we were still at the meadow. He was watching the sunset, sitting on the grass, with me on his lap, and leaning back on his elbows. He was looking up at the stars and twirling a lock of my hair around his finger.

The lines of his face were more prominent in the moonlight, and his emerald eyes shined. Finn was still the most beautiful thing I'd ever seen. I smiled to myself; when did I become so lucky? My life was perfect. I had a great job, a boyfriend that I loved unconditionally and irrevocably, and a loyal best friend.

"You're awake," he said.

"Mhm."

He buried his face in my hair and kissed my neck. I shuddered and leaned into his muscular chest. I remembered earlier today when he said he loved me--I'd never been happier in my life. I never wanted to leave this meadow.

Finn reached over and picked a light pink flower. He gave it to me and I held it in my hands. The delicate petals were soft as silk and rain dew sparkled on the rosy color. I tucked it behind my ear and looked up at Finn. He was looking at the stars.

"Do you know any of the constellations?" I wondered.

Twining my fingers with his, he said, "I know a few. That one over there is Orion's Belt."

He pointed at three bright stars and I wondered who else was looking at the night sky right now. He showed me the big dipper, the little dipper, and pointed to an extra bright star.

"That one's Venus."

"It's so beautiful."

"Yeah."

He kissed my cheek and rested his chin on my head. I continued to look at the sky.

"When I was younger, my mom told me that the night sky was called God's Jewelry Box," I said, recalling the memory.

I was three years old and my mother and I were at our beach house in California. I was picking up shells on the shore and my mom was watching me, smiling.

She walked over and picked me up, pointing to the sky.

"You see that, Angel? That's God's Jewelry Box. Each star is for each of God's children. There's a star out there that was made just for you."

I looked back at that memory fondly. My mother and I were not very close anymore at all. Thinking of my mother brought tears to my eyes. There was a memory that I had of her, that wouldn't go away. It was so recent and every time I thought of it, my chest ached.

"What's wrong?" Finn asked.

He wiped the salty tears off my cheek and twisted me around to face him. His emeralds looked into my sapphires and displayed worry. He rubbed his hand against the small of my back and pulled me to him. I breathed in Finn's spicy cologne, and took deep breaths.

"Please tell me," he whispered.

"I don't know what's going on with my mom," I whispered, "I went into her room to get the tickets and she was passed out drunk on her bed. There were alcohol bottles everywhere. I don't know what to do, Finn."

"Was that what made you so upset Thursday night?" he asked quietly.

I nodded and looked down at my hands. He placed his fingers under my chin and gently tilted my head up to look at him.

"Hey, it's okay. It's probably just a phase," he said.

I wanted desperately to believe Finn. I nodded and wrapped my arms around his neck, burying my face in his chest.